Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had to share this

Anthony,
    Great pics. I like your setup. I'm planning to make some stands soon. Gonna have to once we start doing outside shows.

I want to thank everyone in the Creek for their input, advice, etc.

Keep the chips flying.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Just another "OFF THE WALL" observation.

Blake,
    I have never "sold" any of my stuff. On the other hand, if I do decide to do it, the LAST place that I would consider would be a "Craft Show". My experience in touring craft shows is that they are primarily anchored by "crafters" who do their work for the fun of it - not for the profit.

In my part of the country, winters are long and many older folks spend their "indoor" hours making bird feeders out of coffee cans, "neat" gimmicks out of beer or soda cans, painted cows and pigs out of scrap wood and "glued-on" twigs, eagles and wolves out of crudely scrolled driftwood, etc., etc. Some of this stuff is very nice and some of the artistry is quite impressive. Such a waste!

In the spring, they go to "craft shows" and sell their wares. They may pay for their booth, their supplies and give themselves an hourly pay rate of $.15/hr. I'd rather GIVE my stuff away.

Anyway, that is the hysterically moronic marketing strategy that gave us, "New Coke" and the Edsel! My plan would be to: Identify your market, offer products intrinsic to the demands of that market and charge ridiculously high prices for your efforts.

I happen to live within easy driving distance of three high-end tourist areas. I know the areas and what the "tourists" expect of those areas. I also know that the "plastic" runs with much liquidity through the scanners of certain merchants. "Certain" is the key word here. I also know the merchants.

What would these wealthy "summer" people pay for a well-made "camp" lamp exhibiting deer, bear, eagles and even cougars? What would the wife of a wealthy "hunter" who has "everything" pay for an "Antler" pen? What would a wealthy Grandma pay for a "custom" scrolled portrait of her grandson or granddaughter? I don't know but I've got some very strong hunches.

Good marketing is NOT dependent on trying to "milk" money from a bunch of folks who are walking through a "Craft Show" looking for bargains!

I'm NOT a "production" person but I may test the waters next spring and summer just for the fun of it. If I can't return $20-40/hr, I'll forget it and continue to give my "junk" away. Either way, in the paraphrased words of Willie Nelson, "I won't be cold, I won't be wet and I won't be hungry". Who could ask for anything more??

I don't intend to offend anyone! The above are just my own thoughts. We spend a lot of time and money on our hobby. Why give away the results?
    Don't be stupid like me. If you want to profit from the hobby, give some thought to your marketing strategy. Remember the "Hula Hoop", the "Pet Rock", "Cabbage Patch" dolls, etc. EGADS!! I seem to recall a guy who developed a rather simple computer operating system which he called DOS!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Dale, no offense but you gotta get out more There are "juried" shows where the craft artists are making a living at craft. I'm not talking about the local church and fire hall "bazaars". I accept Visa/Master Card and I earn a good "shop" rate with my average sale $90+, I also hope to make it a full time in the near future.

Craft Stuff

[QUOTE=Anthony Yakonick]Dale, no offense but you gotta get out more

Anthony,
    You are absolutely right - however, you will have to talk to my wife about that. If she would increase my allowance I could probably make it to town more than once every couple of years. No offense taken!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Anthony-

Nice set up! I see you also sell the mini birdhouses. Are they a pretty seasonal thing or fairly steady where you are? What kind of prices will you typically get?

I've made a few of these but haven't had instant success like I thought I would.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers