View Poll Results: What tablet will you buy?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nook Tablet

9 5.66%
  • Amazon Fire

36 22.64%
  • I-pad

88 55.35%
  • Other

26 16.35%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire

+2 on other. Love the iPad2, it comes in really handy. Even made a lovely wood case for it. At the end of the day when I want to read I just like the feel of a book in my hands.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I vote for iPad. I do have all of them, or did have at time. I am using iPad more then any other devices. Let see:
    - reading - I can read any format on Ipad. I can read in the dark ( when my wife sleep and I don't want to turn lights on).
    - browsing Internet - no restriction on iPad, much faster, native site view.
    - music - can play, download, stream, access my NAS from any part of the world
    - video - see above with music
    - picture - see above plus can shoot reasonable quality picture and good quality video.
    - battery live - obviously shorter then Kindle touch but much longer then any color e-reader from Amazon or Nook.
    With all my activity I am charging my iPad once per 2-3 days.
    Weight - I am strong, I can do hold iPad for some time.
    But any decision coming to -PERSONAL PREFERENCES.
    Ed.

I enjoy using the Nook Color. The iPad is a different animal. It's really a tablet PC. Like the PCs that were tablets 5 years ago, but weren't cool because they didn't have the "i" in front of their name.

If you want a nearly fully functional laptop go with the iPad. If you want to read, check baseball scores, watch videos, listen to music, sideload content, or hack the thing and have a untethered Android Tablet go with the Nook. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually open up each marketplace (Barnes and Noble and Amazon) to the other product anyway.

Bought 2 Kindle Fires. Love everything Amazon. The price was right and it is something I can let the kids play with.

That being said it is kind of limiting and prefer the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 but again I do not want my 3 and 6 year old sitting on the couch with a 600 dollar tablet.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

LOVE my iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post

That being said it is kind of limiting
    Could you say in what way?

I guess i should have not added the I-pad to the poll. It is a totally different device. If i was looking for a replacement lap top then the I-pad would win. Just looking for something exactly what the Nook or fire does.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Already bought a RIM playbook. Small, works quite well. Severely lacking in apps, but I'm hoping that will change now that the price is more realistic.
    I can read Gmail, Facebook, Web pages, solid WiFi, play a few games, and read e-books.

What I can't do is play Angry Birds...

Colleague bought the nook, but all I know is he could NOT get it to connect to the corporate secure wifi...
    "It's Not About You."

First question is

What are you going to use it for?

You are comparing apples and oranges

I have a problem with all of Apple products. On the iPhone they will not allow you to download programs that would run on it but they block. Its the same with the iPad. They feel there is a issue with "security" on their web page. I don't believe it for a minute. The programs that I want to use on the iPhone are the same ones I use on my home computer. I have no security problems. I run scans on my computer daily and test the security of my network each week. I just want to have the flexibility to use the programs I deem fit for my system and not have someone else make that decision for me.
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

My wife works for Barnes & Noble so I would appreciate any votes and purchases of the Nook. What I hear from people I trust is that the Nook is better.

That being said I would never trade a book for some digital reading thing. I have about a dozen or more books I really want/need to read and I plan to print them and learn to bind books so I can read them as they should be read. Weird, I know.

John

Thought I would update this post with my thoughts.

I have been reading everything about Nook vs Fire I can. Magazine reviews, customer reviews etc....Hours of reading. what I have concluded is you can't go wrong with any of the two. That being said it looks like the Nook is the better as far as the Tablet goes. But the Fire gets the best overall if you want the ease of down loading videos or music direct to the Fire. Nook does not have an on-line music-video store (yet) But if you are ok with downloading videos and music from your computer then loading onto your Nook . The Nook is the way to go. If you already a member of Amazon Prime, The fire will get you some free videos for no extra money. That would be the way to go for Prime Members.

I myself am going to hold off till about spring for all the bugs to shake out and see if one or the other clearly takes the lead. But by spring there will be new models and i will be back to square one.
    For me it's a "Want" item and not a need.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-03-2011 at 4:59 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Keep in mind with the Nook and a simple patch, 15 minutes out of the box you can not only access everything on the Android Marketplace, but everything on Amazon App Store and the Amazon books. AFAIK, the reverse is not true. I have the Nook Color which I rooted to do this as well so for me the only difference would be speed.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Yanke View Post
    Keep in mind with the Nook and a simple patch, 15 minutes out of the box you can not only access everything on the Android Marketplace, but everything on Amazon App Store and the Amazon books. AFAIK, the reverse is not true. I have the Nook Color which I rooted to do this as well so for me the only difference would be speed.
    I read a lot about "rooting" but don't understand what that is. Have a link for some research?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I voted other. I probably won't get either I prefer actual books for a couple reasons. 1. Looking around they are often cheaper than the electronic version and 2. After I finish it I can pass it on to someone else who would like it.
    I think I have to agree with you to a point. I am looking at one because my local library lends out E-books On-line for free. What got me interested, I was looking at buying a book ($20) That I was somewhat interested in that my library offers as an e-book for free. But not as a hard copy.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Morgan View Post
    I have a problem with all of Apple products. On the iPhone they will not allow you to download programs that would run on it but they block. Its the same with the iPad. They feel there is a issue with "security" on their web page. I don't believe it for a minute. The programs that I want to use on the iPhone are the same ones I use on my home computer. I have no security problems. I run scans on my computer daily and test the security of my network each week. I just want to have the flexibility to use the programs I deem fit for my system and not have someone else make that decision for me.
    Apple is a control freak company. I refuse to buy their buggy, 3/4 baked products that the fan boys defend, after those same people have taken a jab at Microsoft about something.