View Poll Results: What tablet will you buy?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nook Tablet

9 5.66%
  • Amazon Fire

36 22.64%
  • I-pad

88 55.35%
  • Other

26 16.35%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire

Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire

So what tablet are you most impressed with? I like the Nook Tablet but kinda concerned the Amazon Fire will have more available.

I know it has a cloud but can you side load from the Kindle fire?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I played with both and the Nook was slower than the fire and had problems loading some things. I bought the Fire for my wife after hands on with both.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Amazon is reported to be developing a larger display size, (8.9 to 10.1) Kindle Fire to be released in the 2nd quarter of next year, the current Fire’s display is 7”.
    LOML has a Kindle Keyboard 3G with a 6” display and has decided that she wants the 2nd gen Fire when it comes out. I like the larger 9.7 display on my iPad much better than her Kindle.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Amazon is reported to be developing a larger display size, (8.9 to 10.1) Kindle Fire to be released in the 2nd quarter of next year, the current Fire’s display is 7”.
    LOML has a Kindle Keyboard 3G with a 6” display and has decided that she wants the 2nd gen Fire when it comes out. I like the larger 9.7 display on my iPad much better than her Kindle.
    Bigger is better but how much will it cost? I think the biggest interest in the Fire is the $199 price point.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I’m sure the larger Kindle will cost more but it will still be significantly cheaper than an iPad, or so I have read. At $202, the current Kindle Fire costs more to produce than what Amazon sells it for. I would look for Amazon to keep that strategy with the 2nd gen Fire. They make their money in Amazon’s music, video, and ebook stores.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Bigger is better but how much will it cost? I think the biggest interest in the Fire is the $199 price point.
    Bigger is not always better. My wife was going to get an Ipad but decided if it wouldn't fit in her purse, she would rather not have it. She can put the Fire in her purse and have it anywhere she goes. I can't believe I almost bought a mac product

I already have a "NOOKcolor" and as far as I can tell the Nook Tablet is the same thing with more RAM and a faster processor so that you can watch movies. For how I use it, I'm very happy. I read, browse the internet and my e-mail, as well as download and edit MS Office Docs. In fact, I would highly recommend one.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    So what tablet are you most impressed with? I like the Nook Tablet but kinda concerned the Amazon Fire will have more available.

I know it has a cloud but can you side load from the Kindle fire?
    Hacked Nook, it will do everything the Fire can and more. Amazon has a "Kindle on Android" app so you can have full access to Amazon's books & streaming content. However, you'll also have the benefit of accessing -other- content as well! The Kindles are Amazon-only (i.e. no downloading PDFs, viewing books from other retailers, etc.).

Blog Entries
    By the way, Amazon is fine with this... they are interested in selling the e-books and don't care what hardware you use (i.e. more of a video game pricing model).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Hacked Nook, it will do everything the Fire can and more. Amazon has a "Kindle on Android" app so you can have full access to Amazon's books & streaming content. However, you'll also have the benefit of accessing -other- content as well! The Kindles are Amazon-only (i.e. no downloading PDFs, viewing books from other retailers, etc.).
    Are you certain about PDF's? I have the Kindle DX (top of the line reader in the old line) and it has native PDF support. I know the lower line models didn't (there was some sort of conversion utility you could use, but you had to pay for it).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    Are you certain about PDF's? I have the Kindle DX (top of the line reader in the old line) and it has native PDF support. I know the lower line models didn't (there was some sort of conversion utility you could use, but you had to pay for it).

Cheers,

Chris
    Fire and DX have native PDF support, the others do not (but there are ways to convert your files). When I said "downloading" I meant directly through the device (versus PC->USB->Kindle)... maybe they've added that feature? My point was that a rooted Nook offers near-tablet functionality while the Fire is more tightly coupled with the Amazon ecosystem.

The Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet are in a different market than the iPad and are hard to compare. I think Andy Ihnatko's review of the Kindle Fire in the Sun Times sums up the difference really well. The first 2 paragraphs of his review sum up the difference really well. To be fair, Andy is a big Apple fan but I don't think the review shows that bias.

Take an iPad, solve its two biggest problems, and you’d hope to wind up with something exactly like Amazon’s Kindle Fire. The iPad has a 10-inch screen and costs a minimum of $499. The Fire slips into many pockets and purses and will set you back just $199. Its designers started off with a fundamentally good idea, executed that idea extremely well (despite a few 1.0 hiccups), and wound up with a product that fills a sorely-felt gap in the marketplace.
    The iPad and the Fire are by no means the same kind of device. But that’s part of the Rightness of what Amazon has built. The iPad is an immaculately flexible computer that can handle just about any task that you’d normally throw at a notebook. In contrast, Kindle Fire is explicitly a device for enjoying books, periodicals, music, video, and games. But it can also handle the sort of computer-ish tasks that are often necessary distractions when you spend an hour or two in a coffeeshop reading a book. Things like checking email, looking something up on the Web, or telling your Twitter and Facebook friends that this dude who just walked into the coffeeshop has the most awesome mane of heavy metal hair spotted in the wild since Poison concluded their ’86-’87 “Look What The Cat Dragged In” tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Fire and DX have native PDF support, the others do not (but there are ways to convert your files). When I said "downloading" I meant directly through the device (versus PC->USB->Kindle)... maybe they've added that feature? My point was that a rooted Nook offers near-tablet functionality while the Fire is more tightly coupled with the Amazon ecosystem.
    Ahh -- I wasn't thinking about it from the downloading standpoint (since I don't download from the web with my DX).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I voted other. I probably won't get either I prefer actual books for a couple reasons. 1. Looking around they are often cheaper than the electronic version and 2. After I finish it I can pass it on to someone else who would like it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I voted other. I probably won't get either I prefer actual books for a couple reasons. 1. Looking around they are often cheaper than the electronic version and 2. After I finish it I can pass it on to someone else who would like it.
    +1..................Rod.