Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet Lathe HP?

My 1.5 HP Jet 1642 handles 16" bowls and the McNaughton coring system. It may be slower than a 2 HP but how much. I guess if your in the production business you'ld want something bigger than even the 2 HP, but how many of us do this for a living? If it takes me ten minutes longer to produce three bowls who cares?

I have the 1.5 hp model and have turned some very large and heavy blanks without any problem. I do put the belt on the lower range for roughing though, it has less speed and more torque. I'm sure that if I had the 2 hp I would like it, but in over 3 years I haven't had the occasion to rue the fact that I have the 1.5 hp version.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I have the 1.5 hp model and recently had it bog down with a 12" cherry bowl - but then realized that I had not set the belt into the lower range. Probably would have been fine. OTOH, having turned on a 2hp powermatic I find that I lust for one!!!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

i have the 1.5 and unless i win the lottery i am not considering an upgrade, the $ difference between 2.0 and 1.5 went for outboard turning stand
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 11-28-2011 at 3:45 PM.

Thanks for all the great input. I placed an order today for 2HP model. I figure this will be my last lathe purchase so go for all the budget can stand. There will be a nice Woodfast lathe on the market soon.
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC

Congrats on your new lathe Tom! You will love it! Looking forward to seeing the photos!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Tom,

Hard to go wrong with more power. I've had my Jet several years now and just love it.

Wilmington, huh? In a former life, I used to work at a boatyard down in Masonboro.......small world.....

And, of course, photos are not optional....

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Tom,

Wilmington, huh? In a former life, I used to work at a boatyard down in Masonboro.......small world.....

Rich
    Sadly, the old Masonboro Boat yard is strictly a marina and private club now. No more craftsmen there.
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC