Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Lathe HP?

Jet Lathe HP?

Thinking of making the plunge for the 16-in EVS. Is it worth the extra $300+ to get the 2HP instead of the 1.5? I mostly turn bowls and boxes with an occasional spindle. The 1.5 has some appeal because it is 115 V and would allow more fexibilty in placing it in the shop without additional 230V wiring. Opinions welcome.
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC

I don't have the Jet but my Nova DVR is 115 V and 1.5 hp. I haven't had or noticed any need to have bigger. I turned some awful big 16" chunks with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the 2hp and don't regret it, but I suspect for what I do the 1.5 would do just as well. I think it depends largely on how much you like to "hog off" wood on a roughout. If you think you want to take a 3/4" ribbon that is 1/4" thick, then you might want to consider the 2hp!

I have the same DVR XP and love every second of it. It is a direct drive vs a pully so i dont know if that matters but the 1.5 is just fine. The 2hp might be bigger and heavier which would be a plus when it comes to the lathe vibrating.

Whatever you get you are going to love that lathe. You will become accustom to whatever power you get and you will never know (or care) what the other power would be like.

With that said I would go with 2 HP.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

That extra hp sure comes in handy some days.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

For production purposes, you need the 2 hp. More torque. If you aren't concerned about time, the 1.5 hp is fine. I have demonstrated on one and found it to be way under powered for the way I turn.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    For production purposes, you need the 2 hp. More torque. If you aren't concerned about time, the 1.5 hp is fine. I have demonstrated on one and found it to be way under powered for the way I turn.

robo hippy
    What Reed said.

I don't post much in the turning forum because I don't have much to show yet. I moved from the HF gem to a 2hp 1642. I wanted it to be my last lathe. Since I'm not a hard core turner 1.5 would probably have been enough. I put a long heavy duty cord on it so I didn't have to run another outlet.

Tom - if you can afford it, then get the 2 hp. Better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That and as long as I have been on this site, I have never once heard someone complain that their lathe had too much power!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If this is not your first lathe, think of why you are upgrading in the first place. If you were stalling the previous one and wished for a little more power, the same will likely occur with 1 1/2 hp. Of course it won't be quite as often. I have a 3520 and wish it was a 3hp. but I do quite a few bowls over 16". The horsepower comes in handy in the roughing out stage. The larger the diameter the easier it is to stall it. When finishing a bowl, it is all about light cuts and avoiding vibration on thin and large bowl. They can become like a drum and like to resonate.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Or you can just enjoy a bigger better lathe and have fun with it! If you don't know it ain't broke...why ask if it needs fixing! 1642 1.5 will be here on wednesday.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Isn't it funny, that everyone thinks that more hsp is better? I made a living, turning for over 25 yrs on 3/4 hsp machines. I even had to move the belt for speed change by hand. For many years I made chair parts on a homemade springpole lathe.. one leg power! Somehow i produced tons of stuff. Keep your tools sharp & think the process thru before you start, and get whatever lathe you think will work best for you.

Blog Entries
    Also consider your plans to upgrade in the future. No sense in spending the extra money for the extra HP if you'll end up replacing the lathe with something bigger (and more powerful) a year down the road).

If the bug has truly bitten you, the vortex will suck you in and an upgrade is definitely in your future.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have the Jet 1.5 HP mainly because of power limitations in my shop. I have had the lathe for 8 months and it has worked well for me. For what I have been turning, I'm satisfied.