Thread: Red oak bowl

Red oak bowl

Boy this one tested my patience as i started bringing it back to round. A pit from a limb shrunk and i couldnt turn it out, then the bottom had dried so that it was porous enough that my vaccum chuck wouldnt seal....lots of ca glue later and lots of sanding has her ready. Nothing but a BLO finish....thats all and thats all she is getting! The bottom is concaved slightly and she has some pretty grain and color. 6 1/4 x 2 1/2 x 3/8 or so

Last edited by Ken Hill; 11-25-2011 at 7:41 PM.

Oh yeah, that dark spot was some form of inclusion that magically appeared and had to be fixed.

Nice looking bowl Ken.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That sure has some cool grain patterns. Oak stinks the house too mu h for me. You did well by this piece.

Mighty purty Ken! Nice color and smooth as a baby's bottom. It doesn't look like it's been in a wrestling match

Beautiful job Ken, your finish really brings out the color and character of the wood.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Neat grain around that inclusion Ken. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Its all good. i wish it had more fleck, I should have taken the newspaper to it. Heck, might have to do that anyway, the blow might just help to suck that ink in!

Beautiful Bowl. Love working with Oak. Was turning some green Oak and my wife came home and asked what that smell was? She called it wood puke!

Maybe I should try oak again. I had a few blanks and ruined one of them on the lathe and didn't like the way it looked anyway so I threw away the rest of the blanks. But from the looks of that bowl, maybe there is treasure in oak.

Nice bowl with some cool grain patterns Ken!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

worth the battle, very pretty wood

Ken, it may have been a fight, but you whupped it!!! Nice little bowl - and, I like the grain/color.

pretty oak, very nice