Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wormy Spalted White Birch Trunk

Now that's a big ole chunk of Birch! Progress pics would be cool if you feel like posting some. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I await SS perfection! :-) Birch is tough once it starts to rot. that bark holds in water, like no other, so it rots from inside. (that's why it was used for canoes & drinking vessels!!) I hope it holds for you. I love spalted birch above most, so i await a form of lovely proportions with mother nature's touch.

I think you may be exceeding the capacity of your Monster Hollower!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Like the others...I'd love to see the finished piece! (the lathe is nice too!)

It's a good thing you don't live near any of the giant redwood forests. I think the temptation of trying one on "Beauty" would be too much. That's a whopper Steve. You'll be a gray haired old man by the time you get that one hollowed.

interesting log, i see you using Jerry's auto tendon, thanks for sharing

Thats one heck of a chunk of wood. When you put the wood in DNA, it does pickle the worms. I found a couple in on piece of cherry burl. I picked them out before I bagged the bowls.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Steve Glad to see your starting to get some wood fitting to your Robust ! Looking forward to the finished piece.

Nice lathe and nice piece of wood. Now is that Carpet on the floor? That is the first time I have ever seen that around a lathe!

"...is that Carpet on the floor? ..."

There was a long discussion recently about Steve's carpet. It a very sensitive subject. Do not mention it again...
    David DeCristoforo

Thank you David... I didn't know how to begin...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!