Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantle “Capper” Project Started

Mantle “Capper” Project Started

Back when the Design Forum started up, I posted a thread about replacing the barn wood mantle "capper" in our great room with one made of cherry...certain details in that room will evolve to cherry over time. Well, I got started on that project today finally...I was going to do something "spinny", but my mood was more "flat" for some reason......worse, it was somewhat Neander-ish, too...

At any rate, I managed to find two pieces of cherry in my stash that were actually long enough to work with on this project and got them milled up as the first step. From there, the hand tools came out to play since the design calls for through dovetails at the corners of both the lower apron and the cap frame. (It really wasn't practical to cut a hole in the floor of the upstairs area to be able to use the D4 on the end of those nearly 105" long boards.. )

So, taking what I learned from doing the top of the armoire project casework with hand-cut dovetails, I got to work on these, managing to complete the apron before stopping for the day. The first one needed a little shaving to slip together and to get the fit right. The second nearly required obtaining clean underwear as it slipped together on the first shot...sheesh! A little bit of sliver work will fill some slight gaps next weekend and I can start on the cap frame in the same manner.

And to satisfy the Picture Police, I submit the following evidence of today's activities. Note the length of the board in the last picture showing the glue-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim, isn't this post in the wrong forum? Seriously, how hard was it to cut vertically? I have avoided dovetails in projects with long stock for that very reason. Yours look good BTW.
    Dennis

Yea, Dennis, I probably could have posted in the Neander forum, but only the dovetails will be done by hand. I still used my Festool jigsaw to knock out the waste... ...and the table saw and Mini Max J/P to prepare the stock.

In a good sense, both this project and the armoire forced me to do the dovetails by hand due to the long pieces. I don't know that I would do them all the time this way...I like my D4...but being able to is a good skill to learn. Doing the ends of the long board(s) horizontal is a little bit of a pain due to having to kneel down, but that was only for the saw cuts.

I try to learn something new on every project so that the next time I'm presented with a similar situation, I have more choices.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-06-2005 at 8:31 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I try to learn something new on every project so that the next time I'm presented with a similar situation, I have more choices.
    This is great advice (especially for newbies like myself).
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Nice job!

Very good Mr. Becker! I have to laugh at myself, I did one just like that a short time ago. With a leigh jig, 2nd floor balcony. It never entered my mind
    to cut them by hand. It should of though ,thanks for next time.
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Ya know...it just dawned on me that I should have raised the dang bench up to the top position while cutting those kerfs in the long board! Sheesh! I wouldn't have needed to kneel down like that. 'Exactly why I bought the Adjust-A-Bench system to begin with. Premature Senior Moment there, folks...

Man that is nice work. I think I am a long ways from hand cut dovetails... or a jig cut for that matter.

Corey

Jim,
    For tightening, the Frid joinery book has a good method.
    Look'in pretty good.
    Alan
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Jim,

Looks like you did a good job adapting to the situation. That really is what it is all about. I respect you guys that hand cut dovetails. I am not ready to venture into that yet, but it is a task I need to learn!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    I respect you guys that hand cut dovetails. I am not ready to venture into that yet, but it is a task I need to learn!
    Hold off on the "respect" part...this is only my second time and the outcome is till not assured! But do try it yourself...maybe on your next project?
    --

Does this mean you will now be finishing by the law of 2s, as well? I mean now that you are showing the hair on your palms. By the way, I've been mean to ask you, how do you like the adjust-a-bench? It is nearly time for me to build my new assembly bench and I was thinking of ordering the adjust-a-bench legs. What say you?

That's my face with the hair, Sam...

The Adjust-A-Bench is great. Give Geoffery a call and tell him I sent you. I think Robert might be springing for one soon, too, given Mr. Noden already procured one in Orange based on an innocent conversation at the show! I do plan on replacing the cross pieces with a cabinet at some point, however as I want all my hand-tool storage at the bench.
    --

Jim,

nice post! You'll do well as always......

Hey, what camera do you use....looks like a "timer" shot w/ camera on tripod?
    Just wondering- I've got a Canon EOS 10D.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Hey, what camera do you use....looks like a "timer" shot w/ camera on tripod?
    Nikon D70 on a tripod.

Nice DT's Jim. I've yet to use them on a project but have done a few practice pieces. Why is something as simple as cutting to a line so intimidating?
    Thanks for the pics.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow