Thread: Grinder choices, grinder speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A final update:

The Oneway balancing system on my 3X wheel worked slick. It took about 90% of the wobble out of the wheel and it took 100% of the vibration out of the grinder. It has maybe 1/32" of wobble left, but nothing I can't live with. The grinder runs as smooth as silk now. Thanks for all the help guys, it is genuinely appreciated.

Aaron

Aaron, your problem isn't the grinder, but rather the wheels / bushings that go with those Norton wheels... I had the same trouble. I used some steel machine bushings instead of the stack of cheap plastic sloppy junk that Norton ships, and then trued up the wheel using Don Geigers "Geigers Dressing and Truing Solution" I think it was called... I now have negligible side to side runout (.001") and if I had to guess from the quality of things, that has to be in the wheel itself, not the grinder. Don's solution tool thingamabob isn't cheap, but is sure worked well! Maybe your wheels are round. Mine had a bump in it... No need for the Oneway system... I am running smooth as silk with a full speed Ryobi 8" grinder now... Couldn't be happier. And trust me, the issue isn't that the Ryobi is all that great. Again, it's the incredibly poor quality control with Norton...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Aaron, your problem isn't the grinder, but rather the wheels / bushings that go with those Norton wheels...
    Nope, not true. I agree that the bushings are a problem, and replacing the bushings will work on many grinders (when combined with a good wheel dresser). However, for this particular grinder (and some others), the grinder itself is a very big part of the problem that can't be solved just with bushings. Plenty of us have tried and proved that. It just depends on the situation.

Glad to see you got it working, Aaron.