Thread: McNaughton Hollowing Gate

McNaughton Hollowing Gate

Anyone using this? If so, how, and do you like it or not?

Thanks.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

By Gate, I am guessing you mean the U shaped fixture to go on the tool rest. I don't do many hollow forms, but prefer my standard straight Robust rest. It can do more things from one place as you can move the hollowing bar all over the place without having to move the banjo.

robo hippy

The Kelton Hollowing Gate is very similar to the Lions Tool Gate that I use all the time with my Woodcut Proforme hollowing tools. If the opening in a hollow form is big enough, It gives you a tool rest about six inches into the form which allows hollowing with hand tools up to about foot deep which is as deep as most mechanical hollowers. With my four foot handle on the Proforme I can go almost sixteen inches deep. I must admit there is a learning curve to it all.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings.