Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan trucks

Nissan trucks

Not ready to pull the trigger on a new truck yet. old truck is 15 years old so just getting an idea what is out there. When it comes to trucks it's always been Ford or Chevy. I saw a Nissan truck tonight. good looking truck. I know nothing about Nissan. Are they dependable? What should I know about Nissan? Is it a true Nissan or a re-tagged truck from different mfg?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Highly regarded trucks Dave.

With good maintainence and not abusive driving should last a long time.

I used to work at a place that routinely would run them up to 200K miles.

I've got a son thats got one and I think he's already over 100K.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Dave,
    I had a 1989 extended cap Nissan, put around 150,000 miles on it before I left California and sold it. I abused the heck out of it with heavy loads and it did everything I needed it to do and did it well. I would buy another one if I was in the market for a new truck.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Not ready to pull the trigger on a new truck yet. old truck is 15 years old so just getting an idea what is out there. When it comes to trucks it's always been Ford or Chevy. I saw a Nissan truck tonight. good looking truck. I know nothing about Nissan. Are they dependable? What should I know about Nissan? Is it a true Nissan or a re-tagged truck from different mfg?
    I'd look elsewhere. We have one guy with a 2005 Frontier, and a lady with a 2008 Frontier and they've had nothing but problems. A friend has a newer Titan and it was an unreliable piece of junk too. But yeah, they look nice.

Been doing some research. What years was (or is) the differential problem with the Titan?
    Frontier is more to my liking.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I bought a new Frontier in 2000. Traded it in on a 2009 Frontier V6 4X4. The 2000 was not ever in the shop for any type of repair. The 2009 I did have to replace the battery in the first year, a bad cell, The dealer paid the prorated portion.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I have a Nissan but it is an old Frontier with a stick. Has 160 K on it, but it breaks down like every other truck. I too have been looking at a new Frontier and doing some research. Google Nissan Frontier review and you will find that there is or was a problem with their automatic transmissions. More what I did not like is the way that the company handled it. It was a flaw in the cooling system that should never have gone bad in the first place, and Nissan did not back it up, and in fact did not fix the problem right away. All manufacturers skirt responsibility to some extent, but this was telling.

The Titan does not get good enough mileage, and the Frontier with a V6 is worse than many full size trucks.

I am going to rent a Ford with the base V6 for a week and see if it gets the mileage that it claims. It has a six speed auto, just over 300 hp, and they claim that it can get 23 highway, which is pretty much what I drive.

I like the Dodge truck, but the V6 they are using now is inefficent. Next year they are getting a new V6 that is based off of the one in the Charger, a nice motor with some power and better mileage potential. Right now for Dodge the Hemi is capable of the best real world mileage. I have several friends that have 4x4 Hemi's, and on trips with a light foot thay can get over 20 MPG. I will be buying a 2 wheel drive, so that is a possibility as well. It is one of the motors that drops cylinders when not needed, and unlike the 08 Chevy I just got rid of it works. My Chevy never got any mileage like they claim, and was always in the shop.

Happy hunting.....

Larry

My kid has a '95 Pathfinder with 130,000 miles still running strong. Other than routine maintenance, it's needed only a heater core replacement at about 100,000.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a Nissan but it is an old Frontier with a stick. Has 160 K on it, but it breaks down like every other truck. I too have been looking at a new Frontier and doing some research. Google Nissan Frontier review and you will find that there is or was a problem with their automatic transmissions. More what I did not like is the way that the company handled it. It was a flaw in the cooling system that should never have gone bad in the first place, and Nissan did not back it up, and in fact did not fix the problem right away. All manufacturers skirt responsibility to some extent, but this was telling.

The Titan does not get good enough mileage, and the Frontier with a V6 is worse than many full size trucks.

I am going to rent a Ford with the base V6 for a week and see if it gets the mileage that it claims. It has a six speed auto, just over 300 hp, and they claim that it can get 23 highway, which is pretty much what I drive.

I like the Dodge truck, but the V6 they are using now is inefficent. Next year they are getting a new V6 that is based off of the one in the Charger, a nice motor with some power and better mileage potential. Right now for Dodge the Hemi is capable of the best real world mileage. I have several friends that have 4x4 Hemi's, and on trips with a light foot thay can get over 20 MPG. I will be buying a 2 wheel drive, so that is a possibility as well. It is one of the motors that drops cylinders when not needed, and unlike the 08 Chevy I just got rid of it works. My Chevy never got any mileage like they claim, and was always in the shop.

Happy hunting.....

Larry

Let me know about the ford V6. Also interested in the mileage.
    My 97 V6 was rated 17 to 22. Can only get 15 hwy.

Had a 1988 Doge Dakota. never again.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-23-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Dave,

While I think Nissan makes good stuff, My wife has a 2004 Nissan Maxima thats been super good, If it were me looking for a truck I imagine I would buy a Ford.

I've used Ford Trucks only the last 20 years or so, All F-150's of one flavor or another, They have been so good it would be hard for me to not go back to Ford.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Dave,

While I think Nissan makes good stuff, My wife has a 2004 Nissan Maxima thats been super good, If it were me looking for a truck I imagine I would buy a Ford.

I've used Ford Trucks only the last 20 years or so, All F-150's of one flavor or another, They have been so good it would be hard for me to not go back to Ford.

Good luck with it.

PHM
    I love my Ford but unfortunately I purchased a 97,V6. Every time I go to the parts store to get plugs or filters , say I have a 97 v6. first thing they will say is "Put a new engine in it yet?" "Yep, $4,000 out of pocket" I say.
    Ford corrected the problem after the first 2 or 3 months but fail to say there was a problem. I called one independent shop all I said was " I need a price for a new truck engine" the mechanic said "Have a 97 Ford V6"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, I think the Frontier is a good overall midsize truck. The Titan is the fullsize Nissan truck, we see a few in the shop, differentials and an occasional transfer case are the main things I see. It surprises me that they have these issues.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I love my Ford but unfortunately I purchased a 97,V6. Every time I go to the parts store to get plugs or filters , say I have a 97 v6. first thing they will say is "Put a new engine in it yet?" "Yep, $4,000 out of pocket" I say.
    Ford corrected the problem after the first 2 or 3 months but fail to say there was a problem. I called one independent shop all I said was " I need a price for a new truck engine" the mechanic said "Have a 97 Ford V6"
    Kind of like 2000 Dodges. Dodge bought my 2000 back. Bought a 2001 diesel stick Dodge and had no problems at all.

I had a 98 Ford 150 with a V6 5 speed manual, ran fantastic for about a hundred and sixty thousand until one of my ex employees wrecked it. When I was driving it it got 20-22 in the country. When the employees drove it it got 17-18. Go figure..... That truck is part of the reason that I am considering a new Ford. I like manual transmissions, but these days I am out of luck in a full size. The new Ford six speed auto is a nice looking setup for an automatic, and so far they seem to be holding up. This is their third year if I remember correctly for that tranny, so if it was a lemon we would have heard of it by now.

Besides, Ford didn't take any bailout money, and the government doesn't own a share of it. Big plus with me. Unless of course they decide to bail out building contractors.......

I just got rid of my 2000 Froniter ext cab V6 which I had no problems with. Traded it with 113000 on it.

I picked up a 2011 F150 XLT crew cab with the Ecoboost V6 in it. I do 99% city driving and am getting aroun 15 mpg. I wanted a full size pick up with a crew cab to I could take the family around. I tend to follow Consumer Reports who didn't give the Nissan Titan high marks. I also didn't like the way the truck looked. The front seems to slope down and I wasn't crazy about that.

I looked at all of the full sized trucks and their roughly in the same price range give or take a 1000 for equivalent options. The Dodge and Toyota make a Quad cab and crew cab. The quad is the smaller and neither was that big in the back so I would have to get the crew cab and that took the price towards 40 grand. I wasn't impressed with the Chevy but to each his own.

I settled on the Ford because the rear cab is huge. I'm 6'3" and with the seat in my position theres still a ton of leg room. The XLT came with the options I wanted. the next level up, the Lariat was nice but was close to 40 grand. I paid 34000 and got 2.4% financing which is pretty good.

The way to go is through the internet. Go to the dealers website and ask for the internet price. Its about 1000 above dealer invoice according to Consumer Reports which is a good deal. You can haggle a bit but theres not much movement due to it being pretty low.

Any full size truck with 4 doors nicely equipted will be around 32 to 36 grand so don't be shocked at the price.

let me know if I can be of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Dave, I think the Frontier is a good overall midsize truck. The Titan is the fullsize Nissan truck, we see a few in the shop, differentials and an occasional transfer case are the main things I see. It surprises me that they have these issues.
    My research shows the differentials were bad around 2005. Have they corrected the issue or the new ones have the same problem?
    Also read they are working on a new model Titan but not till 2014. Was going to be a Dodge Ram based truck but that deal fell through. Now working on new design in house.
    - Rick Dale