Thread: Respirator suggestions for bearded, glasses-wearing person

Respirator suggestions for bearded, glasses-wearing person

I am about to enter the new (to me) territory of spray finishing. I want to protect my lungs so I am looking at respirators. Seem that having a full beard and wearing glasses (that's me) compromises the effectiveness of even full face designs. I really don't want to get into a fresh air system. Any other real world experience and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Full face with selective trimming should do the trick.

Otherwise not much else out there other than a fresh air system.

What will you spraying? Lacquer? Water-borne? shellac?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I have been padding shellac and would like to try spraying it. Will then explore some water-borne option. Lacquer is last on the list, but not far behind.

I use a half mask with P100 cartridge with my trimmed facial hair and get good results.

Make sure to store the Organic P100 in a plastic ziplock bag; the activated charcoal works even when the filter is setting on the bench.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Half mask is the way to go for the glasses. Facial hair is an issue with a good seal. Scott looks like he has no beard on his cheek area where the seal will be formed. If you have a "full" beard, there's not much you can do short of shaving part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I use a half mask with P100 cartridge with my trimmed facial hair and get good results.

Make sure to store the Organic P100 in a plastic ziplock bag; the activated charcoal works even when the filter is setting on the bench.
    How do you know you're getting good results? Like you, I have facial hair. Every time I put on a respirator (a 3M half-face unit) I wonder if I'm just kidding myself.

You test the respirator. Block the filters and inhale. Does it maintain a suction for several seconds at least? If not, then it's not working.

Hobby Air is an affordable fresh air system if you don't need to have it rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Every time I put on a respirator (a 3M half-face unit) I wonder if I'm just kidding myself.
    According to OSHA and NIOSH you're kidding yourself. My employer won't even let me certify for a dust mask because of my beard. My last employer made me shave so I could be fit tested and certified to wear a full face respirator.

The people doing the certification would spray saccharin, the artificial sweetener, around the mask and ask if you could smell a sweet smell. If you did you didn't have a seal, I've also seen people who couldn't get a seal no matter how hard they tried.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation