Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etching a ball style ornament

Etching a ball style ornament

Hello everyone, With Christmas around the corner, new ideas begin to flow. I have a customer that wants me to laser etch the company logo and names on the traditional ball ornaments. I've seen how it's done with other lasers that use a head stock holder, but has anyone done it on the Epilog and what kind of jig did you use.

THanks
    Steve
    and Merry Christmas to the group
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If it's a small logo, laser it straight on right on top of the bed (putty is an easy solution here... align once and you can do the rest on at a time. Otherwise, make an acrylic jig with holes to rest the balls in). If it's a larger logo, you'll need a rotary...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

not even sure the rotary would work if it is a large logo
    do they make 2 axis rotary attachments??

I have the std rotary tool that Epilog supplies.

this is pretty cool, not sure what there using, might be modified.......

http:// (www) .youtube. (com) /watch?v=gfC8oWtggJc

I saw that you tube clip before I ask my question, I just don't have that kind of head stock.

looks like a 3 jaw chuck for a Taig or Sherline type lathe.
    Won't fit on my rotary either, but you still need to be careful
    of the logo height or the top and bottom will be out of focus.

I've got all sorts of jigs for the rotary, some made of wood,
    some steel and a LOT of them are made out of modeling clay.
    (and several combinations )
    It just needs to hold it stead enough for you to do your thing

Did these 2 1/4" ones years ago.. Just cut a simple holding jig from plastic, and did a bunch at a time..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill, did you have any trouble at the bottom with the focus?

I have done these in the past, I set it up with just cuttin a few rings out of acrylic.
    Then a set up a file with a series of 2pt rings nested and centered, this I did because
    it made it easier to see the diameter of the engraving area after I lasered the test.
    The last ring that engraved nicely I used that as my perimeter for the graphic.

Then it's manual focus time! Focus roughly I focus between the top and the outside ring
    that shoud optimize the focus. It may take some playing and lining up similar sized
    ornaments as they all aren't the same.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

A stuipd as this sounds someone actually has a patent on doing this!! I know its nuts but its true, i guess you have to blame the us patient office for handing out such crazy patents but i read it and the guy did actually have a patent. I dont think anyone need worry as the company that held it (laserlight orniments) seems to be long gone and they where using a yag laser to remove the colour from glass balls then using a fairy light (dont know what you call them in the US) to light them from the inside. They looked pretty good to be fair, but how a patent could be issued is beyond me
    This was them
    http://www.pricegrabber.co.uk/p___Pe...nt,__51459897/
    http://www.annsgiftcottage.com/brows...-Ornament.html
    As i say they seem to have vanished but they told me they could sue anyone that used a laser to mark a round christmas ornament.
    Like to see them try!!!!

Here they are, i found them
    Two U.S. patents guarantee exclusivity nationwide through the year 2012. U.S. Patent Nos. 5,266,771 and 5,378,512.
    look like they are due to run out anyway !! laser away
    Last edited by matthew knott; 11-21-2011 at 1:41 PM.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

My last thread doesnt really help but if you can find a card board/ plastic tube that is about the same diameter as the widest part of the ball, the ball can be inserted into the tube, hopefully it will stop just before its widest point, its could then be held with a few small peices of tape, now you can place the whole thing on your normall epilog rotary. you are limited in the height of the engrave due to laser focus but you could engrave the whole diameter.
    Just a thought.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Did these 2 1/4" ones years ago.. Just cut a simple holding jig from plastic, and did a bunch at a time..

What power settings did you used to do that? Every time I have tried engraving them directly in the laser they break, at the moment I do them by cutting a mask in the laser then sandblasting but would love to be able to put the ordainment directly in the laser to speed up the process. (I use ordainment form Krebbs)
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    What power settings did you used to do that? Every time I have tried engraving them directly in the laser they break, at the moment I do them by cutting a mask in the laser then sandblasting but would love to be able to put the ordainment directly in the laser to speed up the process. (I use ordainment form Krebbs)
    These were done about 7 - 8 years ago, My original laser tube was pretty weak.. I would have had it set for about 20-30 speed, 100% power and 400 dpi..Focus would have been about 1/8" down from the surface.. I did about 100 of these, and not one broke.. The only glass I have ever had break on me was a oil lamp globe, it was a lot thicker than these balls, but I think I hit it too hard, and the heat just built up till it cracked.. But the clear balls were no problem at all.. The coloured ones seem to have the colour on the inside, so etching won't work.. Others have soluable colour on the outside that is ruined if it gets wet.. I found these clear ones at a craft store (lewiscraft) which has long since gone out of business..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill,
    Thanks. Did you use something for a heat sink? I just tried lasering the bulbs again after seeing the picture you posted. This time they didn't break but the engraved area had lots of chipping, whereas yours look almost as good as sandblasting.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin