Thread: Dust extraction / Shop Vac

Dust extraction / Shop Vac

I'm looking to replace my current shop vac (Rigid) with something quieter -- I just don't like the noise of a Jet taking off.

My basic idea is to get something that will work well as a shop vac plus be able to handle smaller tools (eg. circular saw, sander, etc..) I also want something that doesn't constantly flip like my current model, and I'm sick and tired of the hard plastic hose that they call a flexible hose.

So far it looks like my choices may be Fein and Festool. Please let me know if there are other options.

The problem is that I don't live near a dealer for either. So I need your input to narrow the search down before I make a long trip to actually look at these models.

What do you guys like and why?

Richard,

I have the small Fein and a ShopVac QSP. Both are about the same is loudness (not too bad) and effectiveness. The Fein seems to have a weird size hose, there accessories are not interchangeable. The QSP comes with more attachments and is a lot cheaper. If I were buying again I'd wind up with another ShopVac QSP.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I had a Fein MiniTurbo and it is quiet, stable, portable, and effective. I upgraded all of my sanders and decided to get the Festool vac to go along with my other Festool stuff. The Festool vacs are as quiet as the Fein and also very effective. They also integrate nicely with the Festool tools. Either are very good.

Richard, check out a post I had a while back on the same subject, lots of good info. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14093

As you will see at the end of the thread, I ended up with a shopvac to replace the old Craftsman screamer. So far, I'm pleased with it and the noise level is much lower than my old one.
    Tony

I have the Fein Turbo II and use it with my Festool tools. I ended up purchasing the Festool hose as it fits into the Fein vac perfectly and hooks up to almost all my tools - PC router, Dewalt router, router table fence - all without adapters. I still use the Fein hose - it is larger diameter than the Festool - for floor pickup type use. I purchased the Fein before I ever bought any Festool products. I have no real complaints with the Fein and love that I don't have to use any bags but the Festool has one real advantage and one disadvantage as I see it. The Festool sanders tend to work better with a vacuum with variable speed as max suction tends to make the sanders "stick" to the wood. The Fein has no variable speed and some people just drill holes in the vac hose connection to reduce suction. The down side with the Festool is that it requires bags and this can really add up in cost. Festool does offer a reusable bag but it is pricy - something like $130.
    Pete in Louisiana

Blog Entries
    Hi Richard,

If you want a partial solution while you are trying to figure out what to buy...The Depot makes a sound baffle for the Ridgid vacs, or at least they did last time I looked.

I have the big 18 gal ShopVac with a nice big bag. I like the bag because it dramatically reduces air-born dust, beats the heck out of my old Craftsman. It is quieter than the old one but I may have to look into the QSP. QSP = quiet?

Just looked...QSP = Quiet + Super Powerful.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

If you have a local Meneards, Shop-Vac wnet on sale today! I picked one up.
    Redbob

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and I'll definitely be checking into the ShopVac brand. I never did hear if all of these brands use the same "In"flexible plastic hose.

shop vac

Put an insulated box over the vac.
    Cardboard with recycled styrofoam.
    jim

I have a Fein Turbo II with a Festool hose. Both the Fein and Festool hoses are far superior to the one on your Ridgid. But, neither is as wide. I think the Fein hose is around 1 1/4" instead of the 2 1/4" you have on the Ridgid. But, both are more flexible and easier to use. The Festool hose will fit on pretty much any vac, including your Ridgid.
    I use my Fein for hooking up to tools and small cleanups. I still use my super loud Craftsman for the big cleanups though. The Fein is about as stable as your Ridgid. If tipping is an important consideration, go for the Festool. One of the best features of the two "F" vacs, is the auto switching with power tools.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Muffler

There is a muffler that Ridgid sells for this purpose. Works well!

I use a Shop-Vac that I installed a HEPA filter on. I also purchased a Bosch accessory hose that fits perfectly. It attaches to my sanders (Bosch) plus I use it for my PC tools (routers, plate joiner etc). The PC ports are smaller than Bosch so I increased their size "temporarily" by wrapping them in duct tape. That has worked fine for about two years now. The Bosch hose is thinner than a Shop-Vacs, much more flexible, and longer. It is also a much cheaper solution than going with a Fein or Festool. I have used a Fein Turbo II with Fein sanders and while that is a better solution than what I use in my shop, it is not better enough to justify its' cost for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I have a Fein Turbo II with a Festool hose. Both the Fein and Festool hoses are far superior to the one on your Ridgid. But, neither is as wide.
    Fein has two hoses available for their vacs; the standard one in around 1" in diameter and the other is 2.5". The first is great for dust, the other for sweeping the floor. I purchased the 2.5" D hose for my Mini Turbo and it worked just fine with the tools from my Sears shopvac. As for the Festool, there are three size hoses that work with their vacs; the standard roughly 1" one, a 33mm hose, and a 50mm hose. I use the standard one for connecting to tools and a 33mm hose (part of a kit) for shop cleanup. Both the Fein and Festool vacs do a fine job if outfitted correctly.