Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Needed from the Cabinet Pros

Newest revision

I liked Peter's bench so much, I decided to rework my base (along with some of the other suggestions)... Here's the latest incarnation:

New Table.JPGCapture.JPG

I'm not sure if these changes will make it any sturdier... but I like this look much better! Thanks Peter!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    I liked Peter's bench so much, I decided to rework my base (along with some of the other suggestions)... Here's the latest incarnation:

New Table.JPGCapture.JPG

I'm not sure if these changes will make it any sturdier... but I like this look much better! Thanks Peter!

Andy
    My pleasure Andy. I like the look of that! I find this set up to be pretty rigid in use. I needed a hand tool bench and a new TS outfeed, I needed a lot of cabinet storage for router bits and hand tool, I needed a place to put TS accessories and blades. This one bench pretty much does it all. I started off thinking Roubo type work bench with a cabinet underneath, and it evolved into that hybrid version with the best features of both.

Looking at your design I'm thinking if there was a rabbit or even a dado in the legs to accept the plywood that forms the end panels it would be a good way to strengthen that connection. Or perhaps a cleat behind the panel that drops into a dado in the legs that lets you screw that part of the from behind could make things easy.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure you will work al the ideas here into a fine bench for your CNC. i love to see pics of the final form!

Here's the final bench for the CNC build (well, I still may install doors/drawers in the base--I haven't made up my mind yet on that).

Starting Out.jpg

It bears a striking resemblance to Peter's! I was initially concerned about racking, but this thing is absolutely STOUT. No worries anymore!

Andy

Andy, I like that bench! Nice work there. Looks pretty solid.

Your box looks pretty stiff and it's not going to be heavily loaded, so I doubt any small bit of racking is going to be an annoyance.

Ernest Joyce in "The Encyclopedia of Furniture Making" says a book case needs a cornice or a plinth to keep from racking. Sorry, I couldn't find the page. I've also always considered this advice to be axiomatic. I've also always taken that to mean "...or equivalent." Basically I try to put a box somewhere in the structure. Even a very thin torsion box works fine, so long as it can't distort around any of its three axes. A face frame won't prevent a carcase from racking, but naturally screwing it to the wall will. There's a nice big torsion box!
    You can easily confirm for yourself how well an attached box works by looking at the successful and the unsuccessful 5-sided cases all around you. Give a bump to any loaded down bookcase that is built naively and watch it swing its shoulders.