Thread: Finding the bottom

Finding the bottom

Greetings. I have been turning for quite some time but still consider myself a newbie. Recently I scored a few sections of a cherry tree the day it was cut down and wanted to try to finish and rough turn as much as possible as soon as I could.
    I guess I was rushing a little on one of the natural edge bowls I was attempting to finish wet and guess what, My vacuum chuck popped the middle out of the bottom. I had gotten a little to thin. Of course we all like to turn thin but I always found myself guessing where the inside bottom of the bowl was after I mounted it on the vacuum chuck.
    I posed the question on a few Forums and had lots of suggestions but none actually gave me what I was looking for so I built one myself. Here is a photo and the details can be found on my blog at: https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com/
    Not sure if it would help any of you but thought what the Hey I'll post it anyway.
    DSC_6334.jpg

Pete

Wish you had posted this day before yesterday I just ruined two bowls yesterday, going through the bottom. Looks very handy, thanks for posting.

thanks, peter. I'll give this one a try.