Thread: Chainsaw Safety

Chainsaw Safety

Since most turners also operate a chainsaw from time to time (or daily from some of the gloats that are posted), I thought I'd share this video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31khLebxCyg

I can't tell if the chain was still running, but if he would have hit it face first I'm pretty sure it would have left a mark.

And as a good reminder to new and experienced chainsaw users alike, here's some safety tips from OSHA-
    Chain Saw Safety
    • Clear away dirt, debris, small tree limbs and rocks from the saw’s chain path. Look for nails, spikes or other metal in the tree before cutting.
    • Shut off the saw or engage its chain brake when carrying the saw on rough or uneven terrain.
    • Keep your hands on the saw’s handles, and maintain secure footing while operating the saw.
    • Proper personal protective equipment must be worn when operating the saw, which includes hand, foot, leg, eye, face, hearing and head protection.
    • Do not wear loose-fitting clothing.
    • Be careful that the trunk or tree limbs will not bind aginst the saw.
    • Watch for branches under tension, they may spring out when cut.
    • Gasoline-powered chain saws must be equipped with a protective device that minimizes chain saw kickback.
    • Be cautious of saw kick-back. To avoid kick-back, do not saw with the tip. If equipped, keep tip guard in place.

2. Scary, scary, scary............ ..............did I say SCARY?!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking that the chain saw was running. But the chain was locked. He never locked it after the 'inced ant.'
    Have a Nice Day!

He should have just let go of the saw. May have been costly, but a lot less risky. Stumps also stand back up, they are hinged by the roots, the roots fold over and when you remove the weight of the tree the root system will stand back up. View the beginning closely.

Blog Entries
    After looking closely to the beginning. I'm thinking that the chain saw got pinched in. He was hanging on to saw as the dozer pulled the tree. The tree broke free, causing the stump to sling back to the ground and he and the chain saw got pulled with it. Saw may have been idling but was locked. Yea.. i think I would have just let go of the saw, or not even be around it when the dozer 'pulled' the tree off.
    Have a Nice Day!

Agreed...if my saw binds I just let her sit but always kick on the break..those are a life and limb saver...!! Good reminder