Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a tool hoarder?

Are you a tool hoarder?

I watched the hoarders tv show the other night, wow!! I felt really bad for some of the people on the show....then I got to thinking, and looking around my shop. I'm in the same boat to a point, I can't seem to part with any tools. My shop is very functional, but I have a LOT of tools I just dont use. I just can't seem to part with them though, must be a sickness

Where do you stand, hoarder or non-hoarder?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Don't think it's sickness. We are hoarders by instinct and evolution. I'm in between I guess as I never stop wanting to accumulate new things but can apply enough rationalization to avoid over the top extremes.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Depending on who you are asking in my household. SWMBO will agree that I am a major hoarder, but she doesn't complain when she needs something fixed quickly and I go to my shop and find the repair part on a shelf waiting for years to be used. I have too many work spaces and I usually have duplicate tools in each one of the areas. Three drill presses, one in my basement, two in my pole building sitting next to a small tool room mill that can be used as a drill press. I do have a lot of things I need to get rid of but every time I think about it I get a knot in my stomach and put it off to another day in the future. Yup, I am definitely a hoarder.
    David B

David B.,
    Same here. I say no, but my family says yes. I just chalk it up to a lack of understanding the need for the right tools for the job. Any real craftsman knows you need a power planer, a power jointer, and about 20 hand planes to true a board.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 11-15-2011 at 1:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm not really a hoarder; I just don't know how to sell what I've got. I shy away from Craig's List because I don't want weirdos showing up at my house. I don't really know how to estimate shipping for eBay but I guess I'll have to learn. What I have learned lately (about myself) is that I have purchased some tools that looked like a neat idea but then I never use it so I am going to be more discriminating in the future.

I'm not a tool hoarder.....I plan a project that requires a new tool to add to my collection......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

They say the first step is to admit you have a problem. I don't...

I will say no. I don't go out and just buy anything thinking I may need it someday unless its a great deal. This mostly goes for flea markets, yard sales and C-list. I also can throw things out when I get new ones if they cannot serve another purpose.

Ex, I got a new ROS since my old one was slowing down. I did keep the old one to work on metal, rust so I can keep my new one strickly for wood.

Don

In case anyone missed this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-is-a-workshop!!!

Now feel free to feel better about yourself.

Peter K,
    I am feeling better about myself already but his hoard is well organized but mine is dangerous to navigate through.
    David B

I wish I knew a young person wanting / needing some tools to learn with. I would be very happy to set them up with both hand and some power tools. I seem to have multiples of many of my tools that I would never miss the spares. Finding a young person with interests beyond cell phones, computers and facebook is hard to come by.

John

Lets see.......

4 tablesaws
    2 shapers
    2 jointers
    2 drill presses
    3 planers
    9 Miter saws
    27 routers
    12 circular saws
    2 band saws
    1 rabbiting machine
    I radial arm saw
    and only 1 lathe

See, I'm ok, I only have one lathe, one radial arm and one rabbiting machine......

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Lets see.......

4 tablesaws
    2 shapers
    2 jointers
    2 drill presses
    3 planers
    9 Miter saws
    27 routers
    12 circular saws
    2 band saws
    1 rabbiting machine
    I radial arm saw
    and only 1 lathe

See, I'm ok, I only have one lathe, one radial arm and one rabbiting machine......

Larry
    Larry, thanks a millioin, I feel a lot better now. I think we have a winner!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

lol @larry - 27 routers and 12 circular saws!! heh nice! The rest of that list looks exceptionally reasonable (numbers to aspire to anyway )

The line between hoarder, collector and "that fellow who's handy to know cause he always has just what you need" is very fine indeed. I think the line of hoarder is crossed when you are unwilling to get rid of things that are clearly trash. Scrap metal, random offcuts and tools that just need a little more fixing are clearly not trash (reduce, reuse and recyle - most people forget about the first two).

I reckon I'm not yet a hoarder because I actually got rid of a bunch of junk this year (story and sticking to it).