Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New artwork with the laser

New artwork with the laser

We thought that some of the people that visit the forum would be interested in some of the artwork that we have been doing for a while.
    The pictures attached are done on scratchboard that is 1/8" hardboard with a white clay coating and then coated with a black india ink.
    It has to be run at a very low power setting on the laser. We have a 30w Laser Pro Mercury. Our setting is 4-7% on the power @ 100% speed @ 600 DPI. The quality of the output has everything to do with the quality of the image. The pic of the dog was e-mailed to us and turned out quit good. All images are run through Photograv. All other images are photographs that we have taken. Has anyone else ever used
    the blackboard like this.

Randy and Cathy McCullough
    CLM Dezine Ovations
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    When you say "hardboard", are you talking about chipboard (cardboard often used in making boxes for gift shirts and such)? Where are you sourcing the scratchboards from? With the quality of images you appear to be getting from them, seems like an inexpensive substrate to work with...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dan,
    It is 1/8" tempered masonite with the scratch coating. We get it from Blick Art Supply in 16x20 sheets and cut it into 8x10 pcs. Once it is lasered you may get some banding or small lines where the laser may not clean the surface. The picture of the dog did that some so I cleaned it up with 600 grit paper so it was totally white and I could shade the areas a little better. Once we get it the way we want it I coat it with clear acrylic spray. You also need to clean the surface with a very soft cloth to remove any black dust left over on the white areas.

Kind of expensive though, I wonder if you could cover a white ceramic tile with India ink and get similar results? Although applying the ink may be harder than I think it should be much cheaper.

The black ink is about $3 an ounce, I would think that one ounce would cover ten or more 12x 12 tiles.
    Last edited by Joe Hillmann; 11-14-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    $2.50 per 8x10 board is not unreasonable, IMO. I do wonder, however, about inking bare boards yourself as it would open up a wide range of colors to work with. That's a lot of extra work, so the project has better make it worthwhile.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    $2.50 per 8x10 board is not unreasonable, IMO. I do wonder, however, about inking bare boards yourself as it would open up a wide range of colors to work with. That's a lot of extra work, so the project has better make it worthwhile.
    Where were you seeing it for $2.50? I did a quick search and came up with this http://www.dickblick.com/products/am...d-scratchbord/ Which is pretty expensive.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Not really. Just looked at Blicks website. A 16x20 pc. is just under $10.00 so that would make a 8x10 run $2.50 ea. with some shipping tacked on.
    It is called Ampersand on their website.
    Randy McCullough

I originally looked at there site on my phone and only saw the price of the 5x5's and didn't notice that it was a pack of 3. So I was wrong when commenting on them being expensive.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Blick is 100+ miles from here, but I do have some masonite and MDF, and i have
    some acrylic gesso. And I have a bottle of titanium dioxide..
    I'd better get to it!

nice stuff
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Me! I tried it a long while back but purely out of temptation to engrave just about anything. They did turn out ok, but that is about as far as I could stretch myself, just okay. Just the white didn't come through white enough for my liking.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I think these came out pretty nice. I'll give it a shot when
    my gesso dries

Thanks, Cathy.. I tried it out and it looks like a nice new medium for me.
    I put the gesso on the MDF, but then realized it was transparent. (D'OH!)
    so the second and third coats got a bit of white acrylic paint and some
    powdered marble. (not sure of the amount of solids in the transparent)
    then put down a coat of black.
    I like it so far .. I left brush strokes in the white, not sure if I will
    leave them or maybe spray the white next time.
    Nice way to use up the leftover pieces! Little 5x5's in an inexpensive
    frame.. I'll put them on the table at the next craft fair and see what
    happens..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used this many times and I love it! It has to be sealed and I think that dulls it a bit. Other than that it's great. I've used it in my many years of crafting and have used the clayboard paints to add color. It's a great medium!
    Epilog Helix 45 watt
    Wacom Tablet
    Corel X7 Subscription
    Mac Book Pro running Windows via VMware Fusion

Mighty cool work, Chuck - but what the heck kind of gesso did you get? I've used gesso for the past 50 years and it's always white and opaque, due to the chalk they put in it. It's sandable, which is why it makes such a good ground for canvas, wood or whatever. Maybe you got a clear ground such as horsehide glue, which is another type of ground?

By the way, gesso looks nice tinted, so that might make an interesting variation on this application.

ciao, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong