Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new planer is coming with a 5" dust port. I can't seem to find any 5" hose +++

I had a Shop Fox 2hp Bagger unit for a long time with 4" ducting and flex hose.. I got into sanding machines and decided to buy my last DC .. I had come up with this theory that the DC was my most used machine in the shop, because whatever I was doing, it was chugging away in the background.

I ordered a machine which calls for 6" pipe.. So while I was waiting for its arrival, I tore down all the 4" PVC and replaced it all with 6" .. Then the new DC was delayed. .
    So in frustration, i took that plastic Y off the Shop Fox and connected the 6" pipe directly to the 6" outlet on the 2 HP collector..
    The improvement in performance was amazing.. Had I known what a difference it would make, I probably would have waited on getting a bigger DC ..

The ability to move a large volume of air in most dust collectors is limited to the Filter and the size of the pipe used.. You can buy aftermarket metal dust ports to replace factory 4" dust ports on machines, I have a friend who has done this and said the improvement was great.

HD sells 6 X 5 reducers. As for cyclone lid from Woodcraft, trash it and build a Phil Thien "Top Hat Baffle," with side inlet. I have a 4" version (not side inlet) that I use with my Delta 15", It can be seen by googling "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle." My Delta has a 5" outlet, which I used a reducer to change to four inches.

3. I don't think it's a good idea to do what you propose:

Planer - 5 inch - 4 inch - trash can seperator - dust collector

I have a 20 inch planer as well.
    That thing throws out tons of chips when you are using full width.
    I am running like this:
    planer - short piece of 5" - adapter - about 8' of 6" flex - 6" rigid - 5 Hp cyclone.

If I leave another blast gate open by accident and run the planer, chips will collect in the flex tubing.
    The point of this is that you need to give the planer all the airflow you possibly can.

You might be ok with Planer - 5" duct- adapter - small run of 6" - Dust collector.
    I don't see how you are going to be able to work the trash can collector in here and be
    able to handle the chip load of the planer.
    If you try it, start slow and monitor.

My woodmaster came with a 4" dust flange, and I have a 2hp cyclone, with 6" pipe. So I took a 6" flange, and drew on the hood with a marker, and used my jigsaw to cut it out to 6", and welded on the flange. The WM manual said to wear a dust mask, even when your planer is hooked to the dust collector. In my shop I don't need it. The 2 hp cyclone is just minimum for the planer. If I happen to have 2 dust ports open, lots of chips fly out the table of the planer.