Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hinge For Salt Box

I hadn’t asked as I am more of a lurker ;-) I too am interested in your tutorial.

Re alignment of the magnetic 'latch', why not drill up from the bottom using a forstner bit and drilling through the wall of the box and into the lid. Perfect alignment then place magnets and cover as usual. If no room in the wall then drill a tiny pilot hole for alignment then finish as usual.

At one of my wood turning meetings, a guy used two magnets as the hinge. No lock, since the two magnets put a good bit of pull on the box lid. The lid rotated like it had a pin, but you could pry them apart. The cool factor was high

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    At one of my wood turning meetings, a guy used two magnets as the hinge. No lock, since the two magnets put a good bit of pull on the box lid. The lid rotated like it had a pin, but you could pry them apart. The cool factor was high
    That does work well Josh. I use that on small ones...1/4 cup size since the depth for a torsion pin may not exist and the RE mag's only need a depth of 3/32.
    Remaining PM's sent.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

+2 on the tutorial

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Truth is, a pair of perfectly-placed rare earth magnets will serve the same purpose. You could pivot the lid on the magnets and it would hold extremely well, there would be nothing that could break, and it's a much simpler installation. You could also put a second set to hold it in the closed position. They are made in very small sizes, long and short, and designed to be concealed. I included a photo of a set I purchased from Edmund Scientific years ago, and also an eBay link to a typical set. Just a thought.

tinies560.jpg http://compare.ebay.com/like/1905929...Types&var=sbar

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

That's partly true Russell...alignment is always and issue and there are always, in a well made box, two alignments points. Gluing RE mag's is never easy!!! Those little guys like to stick to everything and if the alignment is off even a fraction...it shows. By drilling the pin holes first, attaching the lid and bottom magnet, you can easily mark the upper location for the top RE and be exact every time.

Can I get the tutorial sent pm too?
    Thanks
    Peter

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    That's partly true Russell...alignment is always and issue and there are always, in a well made box, two alignments points. Gluing RE mag's is never easy!!! Those little guys like to stick to everything and if the alignment is off even a fraction...it shows. By drilling the pin holes first, attaching the lid and bottom magnet, you can easily mark the upper location for the top RE and be exact every time.
    Exactly. I use centering pins, made to align dowels. You could also temporarily mount the lid to the base with dowels, turn it perfectly, then replace the dowel with the magnets.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Great, this thread just cost me $8.28. I have to stop reading with a credit card so close to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Great, this thread just cost me $8.28. I have to stop reading with a credit card so close to the computer.
    Ha!!! Sorry Robert! I'll stay out next time!! I have a craft show at one of my hospitals on the 20th...working of 8 of 10 saltboxes...30 pens, 20 stoppers, 10 coffee scoops and questionable art pieces...2 shows on the same day...wife gets to do the non profit one just because she's really cute! I have to travel, but I work there anyway

All recent PM requests sent

Just in case anyone is looking for the magnets, I purchased the magnets from e-bay from link above. I have no idea if it was a good price or not and really did not care enough to find out. Long story short, they had a make offer button and buy it now button. Made offer, was declined, but would discount 8%, made offer 8% lower than buy it now price, was accepted and shipped within 30 minutes. Price was $8.28 for 20 magnets, including shipping. YMMV

Cool!! Thanks Robert!...ebay is a great resource for those! Not sure but there are about 100 in the shop...not just for salt boxes!!

Okay Jim - need some help here with instructions. My twin are juniors in college getting a math major and they could not help me out!

"Pic #1) Measure your pin so the majority is in the base and 2/3 is in the lid"