Thread: Starting over - new machine planning

Starting over - new machine planning

I had to abandon my build earlier in the year because I had to move. I sold the parts I had and that gentleman has already posted his finished machine. Bless him! So I am starting over. Here are the three parameters that must be met.

1. The machine must recoup its build/upgrade costs. It would be nice if a modest REI is realized, but the potential to at least break even is paramont. Time commitment is definitely no more than part-time, maybe 10-15 hours per week and some weeks with no hours committed..

2. Researching markets for work to recoup costs. Please give me some search words/phrases to assess competitors work and prices. This will also impact machine size to some extent. My markt will be in Southern Nevada and maybe items sold on-line.

3. Floor real estate required. I am thinking of a 4x4 Joe's with CastCNC components. Care to get out your tape measures and tell me the actual footprint and then the required access around it?

Thanks for getting me started again and for your information.
    Carol in NV

I built a cut down version of Joe's Hybrid with a Cast CNC top end in order to fit into my limited shop (garage) space. The gantry is 48 inches across and the table sides are 60 inches long, which basically defines the footprint. With this setup I can handle a piece 33.8 inches by 48 inches. I built my table on rollers, so I can reposition it fairly easily - but I normally only access it from one long side. If you have the room, 2 extra feet on each side would be ideal. It is a good machine. You likely would be able to get more detailed info on Joe's website for any specific questions you have.

Hope you get to finish this time...
    Last edited by Angie Orfanedes; 11-15-2011 at 4:53 PM.