Thread: Router bits made especially for acrylic?

Router bits made especially for acrylic?

I was thinking about trying some different router bits for my jade edge acrylic - to get something other than a flat edge

Does anyone know if this requires a special bit?

I really like the look of this edge

jade2.jpg
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Extract from the Perspex Workshop Handbook -

"To achieve a good finish on Perspex from Lucite, all cutting tools must be kept sharp.
    Most hand tools designed for use with wood and soft metals are suitable for use with
    Perspex except laminate cutters, guillotines and blanking dies. If necessary, these
    tools can be used with Perspex provided the sheet is heated to at least 50°C. Most
    power tools can be used and HSS tools bits are suitable to achieve a good cut finish.
    For lengthy runs, tungsten carbide tipped blades and tool bits are recommended for
    long life. For accurate work, especially where a high degree of finish is required,
    diamond-tipped tools are particularly suitable for machining Perspex."

I have also read somewhere that cutting tools should be kept exclusively for acrylic - not to use tools that have been previously on wood or metal.

I see no reason why a new router bit (used carefully) should not work. Very fine cuts and moving quickly so the acrylic does not overheat.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Mike,
    I believe what you have there is called 3030 green edged acrylic, it's used to mimic glass. I'm sure you'll get varying opinions how to do this but I cut acrylic all day long on the CNC so I'll give you my 2 cents. I use the Onsrud 63-700 series End Mills. I know there are plenty of other brands out there but this is what I like the best based on price and performance, lots of good reading on their website about "how to" cut many different substrates. Follow their speed and feed rate suggestions as a starting point and adjust accordingly to your machine. In order to get a perfect polish on acrylic I take the piece from the CNC and sand the edges with a Dual Action sander down to about 400-600 grit and then use a plastic polishing compound on the buffing wheel, may take some practice but once done correctly it should look as clear as the face. The laser does an adequate job in most cases but usually leaves some striations on the edge so some people use a flame polisher to get a better quality polish. I haven't seen the finished product on the flame polisher compared to the hand buffed method so I can't say if it's as good a quality as hand buffing but I'm sure it's close. Do a search on here for polishing and I'm sure you'll find plenty of info.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Paul Phillips; 11-08-2011 at 8:57 PM.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Try Vortex Tool or Onsurd, they have bits designed for acrylic.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

If you use slightly soapy water as a coolant and lubricant , you get excellent edges and can increase cut speed and depth. The biggest issue with acrylic is cutter clogging , so you need to use one with lots of back clearance to remove swarf effectively. End mills will work , but if you really want to cut well , use a dedicated plastic type cutter , most tool and supply places have em. Make sure its one that does not pull the material upwards.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

For cutting, I also recommend Onsrud 63-700 series router bits. Downward spiral works especially well if a fixture is used to release the swarf. The part doesn't want to lift and there is less chatter.

The profile you refer to is most likely cut first then chamfered on a router table (using a 45 degree bit) as a secondary operation.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.