Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hand-stitched rasps

The Best Things handles "hand-cut French rasps" with their house brand. They seem to be at about the Liogier price point. I wonder if they are made by them?

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...inet_rasps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Noel, sorry to move the discussion off center but I would be interested in hearing how/if it might be possible to order the curved half round rasp.
    Yes, I do produce curved rasps. They are like Cabinet Maker rasps, but curved and teethed only on one side. You can find it here :
    http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffle...s/cintree.html

If you want precisely a Half-round rasp curved (half-round rasps have sections slightly different than cabinet markers rasps : they are "more round" so to say), no problem to produce this special rasp too. Just let me know.
    Noël Liogier

Quote Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
    You shouldn't have to pay the VAT, if you're a foreign customer; unless things have drastically changed, European countries don't charge VAT for items being shipped outside of that country or the EU (if an EU member). The flip side to that coin is that the fees for shipping to the US from European countries can to dig pretty deep into your wallet.....
    I confirm that we don't have to charge VAT when shipping to the US (or any country outside EU).
    When shipping to the US, we charge a fix 12 euros (roughly $16) for shipping fees, no matter the state of destination or the quantity.
    Noël Liogier

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    What a great video..

2 of mine are half round, 1 is a 12" x 6, the other is 10" x 9 and the last is 9" round x 9 ..

I wish I had one a bit finer than the 10" x 9 .. The 12" x 6 hogs off material and the 10" x 9 is used to smooth it out a bit..

I know very little about rasps.. just use these and do the best I can.. Would it seem reasonable to have a 10" x 12 or 13 ?
    Maybe you should think first about changing the shape/model of rasp before considering different lengths or different stitching grains. I assume all yours are Cabinet Makers rasps. It is very useful to have different form of rasps as a rasp basically shape the wood according to its own shape.
    Noël Liogier

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a question for Noel..

What is the difference between Traditional, Titan or Sapphire ?
    The shape of the rasps in itself is the same, indifferent to the range.
    The difference are :
    - the hardness : Titan is harder than Traditional, Sapphire is harder than Titan. This improved hardness increase the bite of the rasps and its longivity.
    - Titan and Sapphire are much better protected from rust than Tradition
    - their surface help to make the cutted material slip on it, preventing the rasp to clog, which is important in the comfort of use, also to keep a good biting power will using it and also to improve the smoothness of the obtained surface.

Some more info here :
    http://www.liogier-france.fr/experti...sTechniques-en
    Noël Liogier

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Thanks, Noel. It seems to me the points on the round would be further apart, slightly, but probably different punches are used for the rounded areas.

Jack
    Sorry Jack, my english is not so good and I am not sure I understood exactly what you mean.
    Noël Liogier

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Very impressive work done by your family. Loved the video clip.

Thanks to you Gordon and all the others for your very kind words.
    Noël Liogier

Here are some rifflers I made. The closeup is not too good,but you can see the teeth. Starting from the left,#1,13,and 16 are commercial rifflers. The type I make are the ones you can't buy,like the little "deer foot" ones see in the close up. The 2nd one from the left is a 1/32" ball end riffler. Its other end is a 1/16" ball. The 3rd one in the closeup(from the left),shows 18th.C. type detail that used to be put on these tools.

I'd never again be without a high speed belt grinder. My Wilton Square Wheel grinder is 4 or 5 times faster than a wheel grinder,and runs cooler. There are much faster types,too. At a machine show,I saw a demonstrator stick a piece of 2" angle iron against a belt. In about 4 seconds,the square ended angle iron was ground off at a 45º angle!! His ran at about 8000 feet per minute. Mine runs about half that,but is still a very fast grinder.

I have no plans to make files or rasps for general sale. I'm glad someone is making them,though. We need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Too funny, George........part-way through that cool video, I found myself saying "I betcha George Wilson makes his own.........".

You never disappoint, sir, you never disappoint.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I like the file work on the shank of rasp #2.

Do you mean riffler#2?

Wood scratcher #2. Yes, for those of us less refined who think of it as "big rasps and little rasps".

You're not that unrefined,David. I like the detail on #3 in the closeup best myself. I MAY have seen it in an 18th.C. catalog,but can't recall. Or,it could just have come from working in a museum forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Liogier View Post
    Yes, I do produce curved rasps. They are like Cabinet Maker rasps, but curved and teethed only on one side. You can find it here :
    http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffle...s/cintree.html...
    What a beauty.

Jack

Liogier Rasps website cart has a place for a discount code.. Don't we have some members here who are able to dig those codes up .. ?

lol