Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most versatile veritas hand plane?

Most versatile veritas hand plane?

What the most versatile veritas hand plane? I'm looking for a shooter and a smoother all in one, which would you suggest ?

Hands down the LAJ.

I would suggest the same.

Blog Entries
    +1 more on a Low Angle Jack.

I have the #62 from Lie-Nielsen. I have used mine mostly for shooting and some jointing or smoothing.

The Veritas will likely fill your needs quite well. It also has a blade that is 1/4" wider than the #62. You may want to add a second blade with a bevel at a higher angle for smoothing work.

For fine smoothing I like a bevel down plane. If you do not already have one, an old Stanley/Bailey smoother would be a fine addition to your fleet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not to dissuade you from the jack, which surely qualifies for the "most versatile", but if you are just specifically looking for a smoothing and shooting-board plane, also consider the Low-Angle Smooth Plane... not to be confused with the Bevel-Up Smoother Plane. Between those two BU smoothers, the Low-Angle Smooth Plane has ground sides which allow it to be used for shooting, like the Low-Angle Jack Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    Not to dissuade you from the jack, which surely qualifies for the "most versatile", but if you are just specifically looking for a smoothing and shooting-board plane, also consider the Low-Angle Smooth Plane... not to be confused with the Bevel-Up Smoother Plane. Between those two BU smoothers, the Low-Angle Smooth Plane has ground sides which allow it to be used for shooting, like the Low-Angle Jack Plane.
    Does the added size and mass of the jack plane make it a better candidate for shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    Does the added size and mass of the jack plane make it a better candidate for shooting?
    Generally yes. But the increase in length makes it harder to use as a smoother.

The Jack is a better candidate for the shooting operations while the Low Smoother odviously is the superior in smoothing operations. But I only own the LAJ and use it constantly for smoothing squirrelly grain with a high angle blade installed. It just takes a lot more work to get my boards smoothed all over due to the longer sole of the plane. But I do end up with an extremely flat finished peice, at least right after smoothing. After sitting for a few weeks it probably isn't so flat.

I would start out with the LAJ if I was you as it is an extremely handy plane and very easy to set-up and use.

I don't have any BU planes (other than blocks), but I think it bears mentioning that the Jack can also be used as a small jointer, which if you have no other planes, is something you'll be glad about.

Great information guys. Thanks!
    I'm still a little ways away from buying one, and have to decide if I want a better smoother or a better shooter. My Stanley #3 &#4 do a pretty good job on the wood I've used so far, but I've yet to test them on really figured grain. For that reason, and the fact that I hate my current shooting setup, I'm now leaning towards the Jack.

Crazy timing on this thread: I was just pondering this point last night as well as trying to figure out the difference between the two BU smoothers. Thansk OP!

Blog Entries
    LAJ, enough said. This is one of those gems where everything just seemed to come together. Regularly gets high praise for a wide cross section of users. I rarely even bother with remove the hotdog for smoothing. I have the 25 and 50 degree irons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2011 at 5:46 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The LAJ definitely gets my vote for versatility...

I have the LAJ and use it all the time like everyone else. But the LAB is finding new frontiers for me more and more, especially with the ball-end and front totes installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    The Jack is a better candidate for the shooting operations while the Low Smoother odviously is the superior in smoothing operations. But I only own the LAJ and use it constantly for smoothing squirrelly grain with a high angle blade installed. It just takes a lot more work to get my boards smoothed all over due to the longer sole of the plane. But I do end up with an extremely flat finished peice, at least right after smoothing. After sitting for a few weeks it probably isn't so flat.
    Yes, the LN/LV LAJ is the winner for me. However, Tony, I think it important to differentiate between flattening and smoothing. The former has no smooth requirements, just flat; whereas smooth says ready to finish.

Jack

I was recently asking a similar question in another forum and I got very helpful responses. I found Derek Cohen's response - he put it into numbers - very helpful. I hope I am not violating any rules, but here is part of what he said:
    If it helps think of them this way - Out of 100 ...

The LAS scores 75 as a smoother and 75 as a shooter.
    The LAJ scores 55 as a smoother and 90 as a shooter.

You could total the scores, or you could pick the scores that meet your priority.

I chose the Low Angle Smoother and I couldn't be more happy. I have 2 blades - my smoothing blade is at 40 degrees. I was working on some oak and some maple and I was getting tearout on them with a standard bevel down plane. The Low Angle Smoother put on a glass like finish with no effort.

I don't have a lot of experience shooting, but this past weekend I was working on a maple table all by hand. My hand saw cuts are ok but not perfect, so I touched up the legs and stretchers on a shooting board with the LAS - I had no problems. It was easy and the results are great. (I hope the mitre saw will continue to gather dust.)

While I'm sure that the LAJ is great, I am very happy that I went with the low angle smoother.