Thread: Tail Stock Handler

Tail Stock Handler

Tail Stock Handler

The picture depicts a hospital serving tray used as a tail stock handler. The tray has been equipped with its own “bed” fabricated from a sink “cut out” such that the formica surfaces form a rail to accommodate a PM tail stock. In use, the assembly, which has its own rollers, is placed with the rail ends adjacent to the bed of the lathe and the tail stock is simply slid off the lathe bed onto the assembly rails and locked down. It can then be rolled aside. Makes it easy for us old f’s to handle the heavy tail stock safely when you want to work with after market hollowing rigs that interfere with the tail stock or you want to slide the head stock to the right and access work from the end of the lathe. Minor adjustments in height are accomplished via the crank mechanism and are needed as the tail stock weight is transferred from the lathe bed to the assembly and visa –versa.

If you fall on your face you are moving forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure hope that was a surplus table!!! That is a great idea provided the room is there. May make one for my Jet since I'm not getting any better looking!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

that will also work as a extender table for your lathe if you can crank the table height to match the lathe height

Pretty neat idea, Walter! Just make sure you've got it locked in place when you slide the tailstock onto it... Either that, or make sure your toes are out of the way!

Good idea, should work for most brands of lathes.

Looks like one more effort to remove the "exercise" aspect of this endeavor!! Pretty soon, Walter, you will figure out a way to effortlessly transport my hollowing rig to the lathe. Combine all of this with Steve Schlumpf's new setup for hoisting his turning stock to the lathe, and we will be completely sedentary!! Now, if I could just get someone to sharpen my tools...........