Thread: Wow...what a bargain....

Wow...what a bargain....

Just was skimming through fleabay, and found this heck of a bargain. Look up item #400223182364. Description reads: "Vtg handsaw, Keen Kutter....Has chip on top ear, needs cleaning. Still in good condition."All this for the bargain price of $250!Hold me back. Please! Of course, I had to pose the. Seller a question, asking "what makes this rare?".
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-07-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Maurice

Maybe another of those trumped up "salesman's samples" that I often see on stuff that ISN'T?

Anyone happen to notice, that he/she wrote "see last photo for history" and literally took and posted a photo of the Keen Kutter wikipedia page. Wow, that made me laugh!

Wow - not even a screen capture, but an actual photo of the computer screen. interesting.

For some reason there seems to be a collector interest in Keen Kutter stuff; I don't know if it's hardware store memorabilia folks or what, but it seems a lot of times, at least around here, two identical items, the Keen Kutter branded one goes for more, even if it's not in as nice condition.

Keen Kutter has always been collectible. But,there are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Keen Kutter has always been collectible. But,there are limits.
    Never underestimate the buying public.
    Maurice

Try topping this one 330633302163 Flea Bay.

"Stop that check to Greenpeace, Honey. We've got a problem right here!" *

* (c) 1992 - Tim "the Tool Man" Allen
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    I have a rare KeenKutter chisel plane. It has an even rarer tapered blade. Ooooohhhh...

For those not in the know, that is just a #4 that has been broken at the mouth and the toe has been lost.

It cost me 25¢ at a yard sale. Maybe I can make enough to retire.

Oh wait, I am retired.

Silly me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What did P.T. Barnum say? Hmmmmm? "There's a sucker born everyday."
    Let's see......I have a hand forged holdfast that you could buy for uh, $600.00. Yeah, right!
    Some of the stuff is off the charts.
    Bill (the skeptic)
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    ! I'm gonna hold out for a user model.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I buy quite a few tools on ebay. I know what you mean about the seller hype. I will usually only bid bargan prices for items figuring that if the item is not as described I can make the seller take it back. If an item is a little rougher than it looked in the pics I figure I didn't loose because of the low price I paid. I have paid the going price for just a few items I wanted in good condition and that were described as being in good condition. I have never gotten (threaded fastener with a slot on one end)ed on the good stuff. I have demanded partial or full refunds for a very few items that were not correctly represented.

If you know what you are looking for and shop carefully and patiently, there are some good bargains on tools I cannot even find locally. I recently bought a Millers Falls #2 hand drill, complete and in very good working condition for only $5. + $10. s&h . The reason for the bargain? It had been spray painted completely black. A little stripeze and refinishing and I now have a very nice and colectable drill for only $15.00

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    What did P.T. Barnum say? Hmmmmm? "There's a sucker born everyday."
    Let's see......I have a hand forged holdfast that you could buy for uh, $600.00. Yeah, right!
    Some of the stuff is off the charts.
    Bill (the skeptic)
    Wow! $600.00?? That *MUST* be a good one! LOL..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Wow another deformed, hideous tool from bridge city...

I had the opportunity to pick this brace up and handled it at the auction where it sold. It is remarkably heavy. I'm not sure what the intent of the design is? I'm not sure you would want to ever use this tool for any length of time.

Also, the pictures don't do justice to the size of the bit boxes. They are massive. I noticed on a second set of the bits which sold at the same auction that, due I think to how sharp the cutting edge is on the fluting, they have a real tendency to chip. The second set of bits was not stored as nicely and they were rather chipped up.