Thread: Weekend Gloat

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Weekend Gloat

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0166.jpgIMG_0167.jpg

Well, I don't get to post a gloat very often, but the Neander Gods were smiling on Saturday.

I attended a ' Collectibles ' sale, and there was an older gent had a table with the usual ' stuff ' ( aka junk ) on it. But alas, on the floor beside the table was an assortment of hand saws, sledge hammer and a pick. I scooped up the two saws marked at $1.00 and $2.00. There was a box of assorted other Neander items, mostly rust, but the sweet little Craftsman egg beater, as well as one each of 7/8'' and 3/4'' Snap-On cold chisels
    ( not in the photo ) - total ask: $7.00, quickly paid in cash.

The handsaw is a 1950's vintage Canadian made D-12 at about 12 tpi crosscut and about 22 '' long enough etch to discern a few details, the backsaw is a bit more interesting.

The medallion search says a 1896 - 1917 time line - it has a 10 inch blade and some bluing left on the spine. However, the etch states it is a Disston
    ' MADE EXPRESSLY FOR THE Manual Training Schools ' by Henry Disston & Sons Philadelphia. I assume it is an applewood handle, sans half of the top horn, and is stamped ' C. SCHOOLBOARD ' both sides, the blade is pretty sharp - about 15 ppi crosscut. If anyone can submit a few more details, I would appreciate it ( on the backsaw )

When I finally get back to my shop after my pesky sore back gets better, I will get into rehab and perhaps sharpening the saws, with info gleaned from SMC. Thanks again - - - - - -

Dave Beauchesne

Blog Entries
    Heck, I would have quickly paid $7 for that, but I might have asked if he would go for $5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;1803190]Heck, I would have quickly paid $7 for that, but I might have asked if he would go for $5.

Jim:

I didn't want to push my luck - AT ALL !!

Do you have any info on the Manual Training Schools Disston saws? I found nothing on the Disstonian site -

Dave B

Nice gloat - $7 well spent.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any info on the Manual Training Schools Disston saws? I found nothing on the Disstonian site -
    Look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ads.html

I think it just opens a new can of worms.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Super Gloat Dave. I can't help you with the Diston, but I can give you some info about your Craftsman drill. Your hand drill was made by Millers Falls. It is a #1 frame with a Goodell Pratt drive gear. MF bought GP in about 1920. There are a couple other versions of the MF #1 also. All versions are exceptionally smooth running little drills. Congrats.

Thanks Dan and Jim for the info so far - I am amazed no one has info on the Manual Training Schools saw - I still plan on doing a refurbish on it - - neat piece of history to be sure -

Dave Beauchesne