Thread: Acorn style ornaments

Acorn style ornaments

These are fun to make and are good for Christmas presents. The top sections are Western Cedar, the bodies are Black Willow, Sweet Gum and one Hackberry. The finials are Holly except for one Sweet Gum (two are dyed black). Cedar and Willow are both too soft for easy turning but light weight is a virtue for ornaments. I did not measure them but the opening is 1/2" diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dennis, that's a nice collection of ornaments. Well done!

Nice ornaments, I just made my first birdhouse ornament this weekend. Can I ask what you use to hollow out your ornaments. I just used a forstner bit and that was it so the ornaments came out kinda thick. And, what type of finish did you use. I am waiting on my watco finish to dry so I can put on a coat of WOP. My wife likes the acorn shapes the best without the long finials so my first one looks like a plain acorn. I think my next one will have the finials as I like them better. Guess I will need to buy some ebony for the finials.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

You have those in the basket Dennis!!! Some nice holiday bling!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Dennis- Great looking ornaments!

Jack- Get some African Blackwood pen blanks to use instead of the Ebony. Much cheaper.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn Barber; 11-06-2011 at 7:48 PM. Reason: add comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Nice ornaments, I just made my first birdhouse ornament this weekend. Can I ask what you use to hollow out your ornaments. I just used a forstner bit and that was it so the ornaments came out kinda thick. And, what type of finish did you use. I am waiting on my watco finish to dry so I can put on a coat of WOP. My wife likes the acorn shapes the best without the long finials so my first one looks like a plain acorn. I think my next one will have the finials as I like them better. Guess I will need to buy some ebony for the finials.

Jack
    I used a spindle gouge to remove most of the wood and used a small swan neck type tool to thin the walls.

These have a wipe on shellac finish (Shellawax sp?) It dries pretty fast, I may start using lacquer type sanding sealer instead though. It dries fast also and will look good with a little wax.

Nice looking bunch of ornaments.

Really nice bunch Dennis.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

great asst. very cute& well done

Very nice Dennis, I have been looking for small birds for some time now. Would you care to share where you sourced the birds from?

Well done! A very nice collection of ornaments indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fries View Post
    Very nice Dennis, I have been looking for small birds for some time now. Would you care to share where you sourced the birds from?
    I got the birds at Hobby Lobby, they were $1.99 for a pack of six.

Nice work Dennis. I have an acorn that was turned by a distant relative on a treadle lathe a long time ago. I think he used an old soldering iron to put little dots on the caps and give it some texture and color. Makes the cap look real. Just a thought!