Thread: Jointer Knife Maintenance

Jointer Knife Maintenance

I recently bought a diamond hone and a Deulen Sharpner for my jointer. The diamond hone works well, but it's a bit finicky hold it against the knives. It allows sharping/honing to the face as well as the back. The honing stones can be flipped 4 times before they are no good any more. For a quick touch up they worked great.

After 2000 linear feet of oak it was time to remove and sharpen the knives. The Deulen sharpening system seemed like a quicker option over breaking out the wet grinder. The tool is made well and fits my hands without any problems, The brass knife holder seems to be fastened by mechanical means via the set screws to the wood holder, maybe it's glued as well. Either way I don't see a problem.<BR><BR>Installing the knives and sharpening was a breeze, I was done within 10 mins. Now the sand paper leaves a bit to be desired. I have never sharpened using the scary sharp method so I really don't know what to expect, but seems to me the sand paper should last a bit longer. No where do they suggest to use water as a lubricant so I didn't. The sand paper was the contact type. I was expecting to have to peel the backing off. Nope no backing, this left the contact surface a bit dry but it did manage to stay put. A few hours later it starting to curl up so..... I think I'll look for wet PSA type paper in the future. If you familiar with changing the knives in your jointer you should be able to accomplish this task in under an hour. It took me a bit longer since I have not changed the knives in this jointer before. The knives where plenty sharp and a lot quieter as well.<BR>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 11-06-2011 at 6:37 PM.