Thread: Dyed Ash Hollowform

Dyed Ash Hollowform

This was from a piece of ash that was harvested more than two years back that I've had in my garage drying.
    Once mounted on the lathe, I came to the realization that this wood was hard as stone. Several times while hollowing I had some nasty catches but the form survived other than the opening becoming a bit larger than I wanted it to be.
    The wood was a bit of a muddy color so I bleached it first before coloring, first with a carmine red then a wash coat of yellow over that. The texturing on the top was done with a dremel and a very small ball nosed diamond burr then dyed black. Both pedestal and finial are maple with black lacquer applied, I also did a bit of texturing on the foot to try and tie it in with the texturing on the body of the form, the form itself has several coats of wipe on poly ... I still need to apply a few more coats then give it a buffing. At this point the overall piece is just losely assembled.
    10 1/2"h x 6 1/4"w
    Please excuse the pic as I still need to work at getting a photo booth setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Spitters; 11-18-2011 at 11:21 PM.

John that turned out beautifully. I think with another couple of coats I am not sure I would buff it. Really nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Outstanding piece John. That finish is just perfect for the form.

This is a lovely piece. Very nice shape and flow. The finish is impeccable and the dye job really enhance the otherwise bland wood.

Pretty piece with lots of nice details... I really like that little bead at the edge of the foot!

6. REAL nice John........I think bleaching that one before the dye was the way to go........very well done, and I like the form and finial.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sweet!! Great form, excellent color and I really like your finial and pedestal!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

wow, i can only imagine what that looks like in person.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Beautiful piece! Excellent dye job and finish, great form, finial and pedestal and I like the texturing on the top.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

John, I headed to bed last nite without checking the creek, and missed this one!! Really some nice work, here - excellent form, and the textured band/collar really adds a lot to this one. The proportions are spot on, and the flow is wonderful. I notice you have used the Carmine Red a couple of times, and I assume this is the Procion MX dye? I like the idea of bleaching prior to dyeing the wood - what did you use for a bleaching agent?

You do good work, John, and your pieces are deserving of a much better photo setup - you should make that a priority. WE DESERVE IT!

Not at all what I expected to see when I read the title of dyed Ash! The colors and finish look great together and everything flows from top to bottom! Great job on this!

stunning color & very nice vessel. it's a winner...

Thanks everyone, I think this is now one of my better pieces, though I'm still not fully satisfied with it.
    My thoughts are that perhaps the pedestal could have been just a tad shorter, but had I done that then I would possibly need to change the elements and not have the teardrop onion shape.

John
    Yes this is the Procion mx dye that I have been using.

Photo excused...the rest is just great...the Carmine red...where is that found?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Really has the eye appeal.
    C&C WELCOME