Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Evolution

3rd Evolution

Here is the latest palm sized HF with my developing, new style of finial. I ditched the long neck and mirrored the angle onto the base of the finial. The finial was changed by lowering the middle bulb and going even thinner, in between. This piece of wood was challenging to work, because it was end grain tear out crazy. I managed to get 99% of the outside sanded out but the inside isn't great.

Spalted Silver Maple with African Blackwood

3 1/4" wide x 6 1/4" tall. Hollowed to a bit over 3/16" thick, by hand, through a 5/8" hole.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks!

maple1.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Beautiful, I really like it!
    David

i like it,very nice!

Now, that is dramatic!! Much, much better, Scott. Love the spalted maple - the blackwood really accents it well.

5. Fine work Scott............nice form and the wood is pretty............your finial on this one is better I think..........and I think you got the thin thing down pretty well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is much better flow between the vessel and the finial. Well done.

Alan

Beautiful Scott. Now I like that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It's gorgeous Scott! This one is stunning!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Great job Scott! The flow between form and finial is a lot smoother and the finial itself looks great!

Beautiful Scott! The ebony finial looks great with the spalted maple, excellent job on the finial and the transition!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Liking that syringe. Good job!

pretty wood..very pleasing little vessel.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was very concerned while turning the finial, that the angle of the finial wouldn't match the angle of the HF. Apparently I have enough muscle memory (at least right then) to get it pretty darn close. I am going to experiment with a way to attach the finial to the form and turn the "base" of it while mated with the HF. I believe a "too long" finial tenon would work so I could "re-chuck" it in a pin jaw set. Only I don't own a set of pin jaws..... so maybe I should buy some! (and maybe a chuck specifically for them..... ).

Anyway, I think it would be a lot easier to form the base of the finial this way. Once the base is shaped I would turn the rest the normal way.

What do you think about that idea?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Really pretty piece Scott. Love the finial. Is the tip of the finial tapered? Can't get quite close enough to tell.

Great looking hollow form and the finial is amazing. Although my own preference would be for a shorter finial, this piece is distinctive and different because of the length and thinness you have achieved. Very well done.