Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18th.C. style thread spools I made the last 2 days

18th.C. style thread spools I made the last 2 days

These are made of dogwood,and are 1 1/4" long. What makes them a pill to make are those very thin edges. I swear,craftsmen at that time must have enjoyed torturing each other to see who could make their things the most delicate and difficult way possible. A war of quality,which I wish we had more of today.

The cutting tool must be very sharp,and be presented to the edges very carefully. These were not filed or sanded to shape. Just as cut,like the originals. There are 26 here.

At least some toolmakers are having a revival these days.

I don't know who besides my customer has "bespoke" thread spools. I must have made about 150 or more of these for her by now. Maybe 200. One of those repeat jobs I haven't bothered to photograph till now. And,I got my wife to take these with her good camera,and better skill!!

The order was for 25,but I threw in one that had slight burns on it,if you can find it.

I'm only good for a few hours a day with my bad knee. Hopefully it doesn't need a full replacement. Will see on the 9th.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-06-2011 at 8:01 AM.

Awesome work George, what is the procedure for turning these? Are several done at once on the same length of wood and parted off?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I turn a 3/4" dowel of dogwood,and make as many as I can from the dowel,feeding them out of a collet chuck. They have a 5/32" hole drilled through them,too. These vary in diameter and length as she needs them. They go on special little looms that she keeps buying. The spools are always gone.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-06-2011 at 8:01 AM.

Thanks George that sounds smart, I imagine you've cut and dried the dogwood yourself? Or does a mill near you occasionally have some pieces?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I was able to buy a big bunch of turning squares,but am running low. The power Co. cut down one of our dogwood trees(for no good reason) during the last hurricane. They are the state tree,illegal to cut,but the workers,who were from another state,didn't even know that. I plan to cut it into squares and dry it. I have a bunch of pink looking dogwood(as opposed to the whiter looking wood),but she has wanted them all uniform,in spite of the spools going into different looms. She might have to settle for some pink if she re- orders before I can get the new wood dry.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-06-2011 at 8:36 AM.

Nice work George. It seems that dogwood is the wood of choice for loom shuttles and spools.
    In case anyone is interested; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_(genus)#Wood

It always is. Must be that it is a tough wood,I guess. But,it shatters just as easily as maple.

Beautiful work as always George. As someone who struggles with tough lathe projects I can immagine producing a 80% scrap rate if I tried to make them.

They CAN have a VERY high scrap rate until I remember my little tricks. I only get an order for them every 3 or 4 years. By then,I forget how to make them,and waste 5 trying to make one. Finally,I get my act together again.

Would making a video of your nailed down technique help as a refresher course?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Maybe having a younger brain?

George, do you ALWAYS have to show us your stuff that just makes us feel incompetant? (Jokin'!)
    Great work.
    Just an aside:
    A partial knee was not an option I chose. I did not get any good vibes from the orthos. Had the total and life is sweet now.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'll find out this week what's what. Hope it's just a torn meniscus,which can be trimmed or sewn back through a scope. My right thumb joint truly needs replacement. I'm left handed,but played guitar right handed,finger picking,since age 13. Wore the joint clear out. I am NOT looking forward to that painful recovery,and loss of strength (50%) in that hand. I don't know what that will be like.

I realize this looks like a ho-hum post. If you haven't tried to make these sharp edged,thin turnings,you might not understand the challenge.

I don't think it's ho-hum... speaking for myself, I'm speechless -- so to speak.