Thread: Getting a handle on the projects...

Getting a handle on the projects...

So I am trying to budget, prioritize, and actually get projects, shop, home, furniture etc... done. I have so many irons in the fire as it were, they are hard to keep track of. I have been trying to keep track of them in a notebook, but I am finding that isn't panning out so well...

Now I know they are boring, but I am thinking about using a spreadsheet to keep track of how much I expect to spend time and money wise, and to prioritize my projects. But I want that data available to me on the go... So I am thinking about using Google Docs spreadsheet for this...

Has anyone else done this? I am finding a LOT of drawbacks to docs such as not being able to embed pics into cells so I could say send LOML to the store and she could SEE what I want, not just know the name...

Any other alternatives? What are you guys using?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

We keep our budget spreadsheet in Google Docs. That works fine, but it's nothing fancy. Frankly, I email stuff to myself all the time with descriptive text in the body of the email and let Google find it for me when I need it. Not an efficent use of space, but in this case, it's not my space!

i use a google doc spreadsheet for my project log. It tracks all of the piece that I've built, date, for whom, materials, finishing notes, sales price(when applicable), hrs spent, materials cost and other misc construction notes.

I love it bc I can edit it at work, at home, on vacation... doesn't matter!
    I'm not sure about the picture embed though...

NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

You can embed pics (Insert/Image) - just not into cells, they kind of float over top which I agree is a somwhat annoying.

I tend to abuse tabs by having an individual tab for each major "project" (my definition of project might be .. different.. than most ) and then have a main tab that lists the general data for all the projects. The main tab can refer to cells in the other tabs so if you need to do summary math or whatever its not to bad (I also tend to sum "up" in the detail tabs because that way I can always refer to the same top cell locations from the overview tab regardless of how many items are in the detail tabs).