Thread: Powermatic Quiet Head Planer

Powermatic Quiet Head Planer

Just sold my old trusty #100 and trucked up to MA for PA to pick up a clean #160 ex school machine bought off Craigslist. Seller was a knowledgeable guy but didn't know that much about the specific machine. When we were looking it over I noted a genuinely strange cutterhead with a bunch of small blades mounted in a straight, non helical fashion. Got it home did some research and not sure whether the quiet head is a plus or not. With 18 blades, there's no doubt I'd need to pack an overnight bag if I ever decide to set these with a dial indicator. Whatever it is I'll need to do, it'll have to be fairly soon because a couple of blades have major nicks. The key is almost certainly to use a blade grinder but unfortunately the grinder and honing fixture are gone although the bar and indexing pin are still there. Couple of questions for you folks:

Does anyone have positive or negative experience with these heads? and

Anybody have a grinder and honing attachment they're willing to sell?

Old iron is always an adventure but love it all the same.
    Thanks! Tom
    Last edited by Tom Cannon; 11-04-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo

Have you gone over to owwm.org yet? Lots of info over there on those Quiet heads.

As Simon said, go to owwm. The PM planers with the quiet head usually go pretty cheap as many don't like them due to the pain of setup. They seem to be prized though as candidates for a Byrd head. Overall they are lots heavier than the current choices so a good machine is golden. Pm grinders are available since lots were made. If the planer had the bar it should have had the rest. Has the school looked? I would guess 200-400 for the grinder and jointer. Dave