Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new table mount router

Top priority is smooth/above the table height adjustment; easy above the table bit changes. If either one really beats out the other in these two areas, that's the one I want. I am not all that concerned with power, I'm not making raised panels, and I've been using the Milwaukee 1 1/2 hp for years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff vanek View Post
    Top priority is smooth/above the table height adjustment; easy above the table bit changes. If either one really beats out the other in these two areas, that's the one I want. I am not all that concerned with power, I'm not making raised panels, and I've been using the Milwaukee 1 1/2 hp for years with no problems.
    The pc890 can be adjusted from above the table with a handle that you can purchase separately. It will also unlock/lock the router in the base. However, I have read that when the base is locked the motor moves a little - so fine tuning needs a little bit of trial and error. The Triton seems to be smoother is this aspect.

Check out youtube to see it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2QXw8xjSU

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    This thread has heightened my interest in getting a new table mount router. I would really like to have the above table bit change and the height adjustment. I looked at the Freud and find it pretty pricey. The Triton is on sale at Woodcraft for $199 but when I looked at the Triton website for more details it says the input is 230 - 240Volts. It shows no option for 120V. Is this correct? I find it improbable that very many hobbyists would have a 240V hand held router (even if it is mounted in the table).
    I have the Triton too, permenantly mounted in the table. It really is very good.

As someone has already commented, Triton is Australian based so like most of the world including all of europe with a bigger population than the USA, 230V is the norm. not 120V. However, surely they offer a 120v version for the USA ?
    David in Périgord Vert

I can only comment on the Triton, and that has first class adjustment and easy bit changes with automatic spindle lock when you raise the the bit to the top of its travel for access to the collet. I'm delighted with mine, the only thing I would have liked is a soft start which my Metabo hand held does have.
    David in Périgord Vert

i have been looking into the porter cable 890 series, but have read alot of bad reviews and porter cable recalls, but these are reviews from a few years ago, have all the problems been fixed? also how does the pc890 series compare to the trition TRC001 3 1/4 hp, which wood craft has on sale for $199? i can get the pc 895 package for $233.
    I had the PC 892 above table model and found it to be . . . well, it sucked. Near as I can tell the 895 is no differnt, uses the same base. The motor would jam in the housing, it did not hold the motor firmly - it would move and slip from time to time. Within two months I gave up on it and installed the motor in a JessEm which functions beautifully. I would recommend just buying the PC motor and a Mast-R-Lift. Total cost is within your budget.

The last time I was researching table-mounted routers, I read something about the Triton that turned me. Now I can't remember exactly what it was. I THINK it had something to do with the switch, or possibly with trying to use the router with an external mounted safety switch. Does that ring any bells? Also, I may have been considering the 2 1/4 HP model at that time.

I have not had any issues with the 890 motor. The design of the bases are surprisingly deficient of good design and seem only to excel at inspiring regret and lack of confidence in the tool. Traits normally associated with lower tier tool names.

The fixed base will neither easily release the motor nor lock it in place with any degree of accuracy. After locking the base the depth adjustment is usually off. Getting the correct depth setting is a trial and error affair. And with the fine saw dust that collects in the channels, preventing reasonably easy removal of the motor, I am skeptical that the motor is able to be locked-in perpendicular to the table top.

As for the plunge base, it has slipped on me, which is a bit of a problem when using a flush trim bit. The base slipped down a quarter inch, lowering the guide bearing below the template. I only discovered this after the piece I was routing was damaged. I had never even considered the possibility of the plunge base slipping. Now I have serious reservations about using the plunge base for template work.

The PC 690 and 7500 are established, proven designs. Milwaukee and Dewalt are also highly regarded. Based on my experience, the PC890 should be avoided.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

i was all set to buy the 890 when i started this search.....but after all the research i've been doin, i'm slowly leaning toward the triton, the video showing how easy it is to remove bits above the table....and after gregs remarks, i'm really leaning toward the triton.....even thou he's a packers fan!!!!

Jeff - I'll pretend I did not notice your Packers remark.

I like the looks of the newest Bosch router, specifically the location of power switch in the handle and the LED lights. After my 890 experience I am just a bit gun shy buying a tool sporting a new set of features.

You can not go wrong with the tried and true routers.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

10. Triton 3HP best bet for dedicated table router. ( too top heavy for hand use ).

11. Triton 3HP best bet for dedicated table router. ( too top heavy for hand use)

I have my 890 mounted in the router table without much trouble except for changing bits. I do that by removing the motor, as my router plate does not make it very easy to do. You could do it above the table if your plate allows it though.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

the crank on the triton to change bit heights looks so much easier and faster.....the porter cable looks like you have to turn the above the table handle alot more to get the bit to full extension .

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesmith View Post
    The last time I was researching table-mounted routers, I read something about the Triton that turned me. Now I can't remember exactly what it was. I THINK it had something to do with the switch, or possibly with trying to use the router with an external mounted safety switch. Does that ring any bells? Also, I may have been considering the 2 1/4 HP model at that time.
    Three/four years ago, Triton was having some financial issues and it looked like they were going to go under. I don't recall exactly which brand has had some issues with dust in the switch when mounted upside down in a table. I want to say, Bosch, but,,,,,I'm not sure.
    I do recall the problems Triton was having at the time put off a fair number of people from buying one, myself included.

Happily, Triton appears to have survived whatever storm they were in & are marketing a successful machine.

The Freud 1700 I went with instead of the Triton......well.....let's just say I like mine a lot.
    It's (the 1700) not setting the world on fire though with record sales.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Three/four years ago, Triton was having some financial issues and it looked like they were going to go under. I don't recall exactly which brand has had some issues with dust in the switch when mounted upside down in a table. I want to say, Bosch, but,,,,,I'm not sure.
    I do recall the problems Triton was having at the time put off a fair number of people from buying one, myself included.

Happily, Triton appears to have survived whatever storm they were in & are marketing a successful machine.

The Freud 1700 I went with instead of the Triton......well.....let's just say I like mine a lot.
    It's (the 1700) not setting the world on fire though with record sales.....
    Thanks. I found a review that had a comment along the lines of what I was remembering:

"This has got to be the safest router invented with its clear plastic shroud, you cannot get your fingers near the bit and the power switch interlock makes it impossible to do an accidental start while changing a bit. This might actually prove to be an annoyance if you want to use an external switch Because you have to be able to reach the side mounted switch to turn the router on after a bit change. There is no option here. "

I think that was what I was remembering. Some sort of switch-related safety feature that did not play nice with an external switch. I wonder if that is still the case.