Thread: A pair of chairs

A pair of chairs

Taking my inspiration from the great Morris chair project, here is a pair I built to go with my Cherry coffee table. I've made a few modifications to the original design such as dimensions (smaller/shorter), curves, and a narrow back (5*) to 'soften' the look a little. In addition, they are built out of Cherry. So they aren't strictly qualified as genuine Morris chairs.

The back of the chair is about 5" narrower than the front. The arm rests are bent lamaminated with white Gorrila glue. It is my first attempt at bent lam and what a learning experience it was. The curve is a little less profound than I anticipated. I used three loose M/T to connect the arm rest to the side as I was concern that the glue alone won't hold over time. The maple string inlay seems easier/faster this time around.

The finish is 2 wash coat of blonde shellac, selective staining with Minwax Cherry gel stain, a seal coat of shellac, and 3 additional coats of GF Enduro-var. I've also given them ~ 30 hours of sun tan.

Below are the chairs bathing in the sun while waiting for upholstery. The cushions cost quite a bit more than the rest of the materials for the chairs....so be aware of this cost before jumping on this expensive wagon !

morris-chairs-3.jpg
    morris-chairs-2.jpg
    morris-chairs-1.jpg
    morris-chairs-4.jpg

Really beautiful. The inlay on the side panel is just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Really beautiful. The inlay on the side panel is just perfect.
    I agree, very nice work Tri! Where did you get the cherry from?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tri, very nicely done. The cherry is outstanding and I like how you made your chairs unique, ie the stringing, the seat taper, the back crown rail, the tapered legs, etc. Really well done. What was the most challenging aspect of this build? What did you spend the most time on?

Blog Entries
    Very nice! I like your proportions and execution.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I will echo the others sentiments - very well done. I too am drawn to the string inlay - really finishes the chairs.

Great work!

Patrick

Blog Entries
    +1 on Prashun's comment.

Very nice. This is on my future project list.
    Charlie Jones

Sweet work on the chairs Tri.
    I have wondered what a cherry morris chair would look like.
    Nice changes to the plan and the inlay finishes the side off.
    Thanks for the look see...

Very nice.

Very nice, I like the changes you made. Cherry is an excellent choice for this chair also. Inlay is very tasteful and tops off the project.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hey Tri - such a nicely finished pair of chairs. I think it would help to see them with cushions because right now my eye is being thrown off by how low the seats look

Here is an idea for your next project. I'm not sure I like this more or not, so take my comments with a huge grain of salt. Right now (based on the photos) the chairs appear to me to be heavy on the sides - particularly in relation to the back. Through the miracle of Photoshop, I edited one of your photos to see what the chairs might look like if you shortened the seat (front to back) and cut the side panels from six vertical slats to four. I kept the arm the exact same length so the the arm projects forward to balance how the arm projects out in the back. A different look which may or may not work depending on what you are going for. If you went with a wood seat (without cushion) you would move the seat up a good 6" - 8" so that would probably allow you to keep the seat depth the same... just thinking out loud.

Tri,

Nice chairs.

It's seems I inadvertently named my thread the same as yours. I apologize for that. I don't know if I can re-title it or not. I'll try.

Bret

Thank you for all comments & suggestions. I was tied up with my Christmas projects that I forgot all about this thread. I attached two more pics of the chairs with cushions.

Pat - There are a few personal challenges in this project. One of those was all of the angle M&T joinery...not much in complexity but just keeping track of them. The second one was the bent lam - my first attempts. However, I think I spent more time on finishing than anything else.

Greg - I appreciate your comments on the perspective/size of the chairs. I'll definitely take them into consideration when I build another set.

morris-chairs-complete-0.jpgmorris-chairs-complete-1.jpg

Very nice. I was just getting ready to jump into a Morris chair myself with leather cushions, would you mind disclosing what the cushions cost?
    Richard