Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Jet Spiral Head in JJP-12 Jointer/Planer

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I think it's because the spiral head will draw more power than a straight-knife head at the same feed rate and depth of cut. They probably slowed it down to prevent users popping their circuit breakers. My solution will be to keep the cut depth on the shallow side. This only affects the planer, which I rarely use anyway.
    You're probably right about that. Those motors also seem to have a reputation for running warm and loading 'em heavier wouldn't help if run continuously. I expect shallow cuts especially when planing full width would be the ticket. The other thing to consider would be to put an ammeter on it at least temporarily like I did with a drum sander.

My son-in-law took the machine apart and today I took the two heads (old and new) to a local machine shop for the bearing swap. The gentleman there suggested we put on brand new bearings instead of pulling the old ones off and reusing them. The new bearings cost $26, but he'll save time by not pulling the old ones; and I'll have new bearings in the machine. And if I ever need to put the old head back in, it will be ready to go. Stay tuned, folks...

The new head with new bearings is installed! It took my son-in-law about an hour to put the machine back together. It runs about half as loud and cuts incredibly smoothly. I've so far only used the jointer side, and I'm really impressed. The total cost was approx $625 + 15 shipping + 50 for bearings/installation= 690. The labor took about 3 hours total, and is not something one should do unless mechanically inclined. By the way, there are C-clips that require a special tool (C-clip pliers) to properly remove and reinstall. So far I am a very satisfied customer. I'll post again when I have more experience with the modified machine.

Thanks for the update Arnold. If you find yourself planing wide tough hardwood like white oak, let us know if the motor seems to be laboring. Nobody wants to cook their motor.

I'm happy to report that I used the thickness planer side the other day and the result was impeccable on 10" wide maple and spruce. I took light passes (as I always do) and there was no laboring or slowing down of the motor. To say I am pleased with this conversion would be an understatement, especially when I think about the financial savings compared to replacing the machine.