Thread: Silverware Chest Wedding Gift.

Silverware Chest Wedding Gift.

I made this Cherry silverware chest for a good friend of mine. It was a weeding gift for him and his wife. I built this about 2 yrs ago and am just getting around to posting the pictures. I built everything except for the cabriole leg. At the time I wasn't skilled enough to make them myself. Each project I do is a learning experience. He and his wife loved it and predominately display it in their house. The cherry is aging beautifully after 2 yrs. I actually built this from a set of plans online, but am planning to build one for my brother inlaw and will design this one myself. Any criticism and ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks pretty good to me, Robert. One thing I like to do on projects like this is to cut all of the skirt pieces from one board so there's a running grain match all the way around the three show sides.

Did you put any kind of divider or holder in the drawers to keep the silverware organized?

Very sharp looking piece. Your friends must have some fancy silverware.

Not to be picky, but you used predominately when I think you wanted to use prominently. Not trying to be a wise-A, just what I get for being the son of an English teacher
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Very sharp looking piece. Your friends must have some fancy silverware.

Not to be picky, but you used predominately when I think you wanted to use prominently. Not trying to be a wise-A, just what I get for being the son of an English teacher
    He probably didn't mean "weeding gift" either....

Robert - outstanding piece. When you get to the point of carving your own Ball and Claw feet, you may want to check out some photos of antiques. The ones on your chest follow what I call the "Ethan Allen Pattern" - they are made to modern interpretations of B&C feet that can be rapidly made by machine. Many beginning period furniture makers that haven't seen antiques actually hand-carve feet like these to this same pattern, implicitly assuming that they're "right".

The specific difference that is immediate obvious to the trained eye is the steep slope at the top of the foot (and consequently thick section where the ankle transitions to the talons). Period feet vary quite a bit, of course, but an authentic piece with this sort of profile would be highly unusual, to the point where an antique collector would suspect that the legs have been replaced. Period ones have a much flatter top surface of the foot, and a much sharper angle between the top talon and the ankle. This sharp corner doesn't lend itself to dupli-carvers (machine carvers).

Also, if you make this same chest again, you might consider graduating the drawers. Not all period pieces used our perception of "correct" graduation (typically each succeeding drawer going to the bottom of the cabinet is wider by the thickness of the drawer rails), but it does give a pleasing look.

Nice job!