Thread: A little Wood Gloat

Blog Entries

A little Wood Gloat

I've been so busy with 'life.' I've not had any time in the shop... and can't post anything.

I did come across a huge giant Silver Maple that was taken down in town as I was taking a short cut around traffic. The lady said most was already claimed for fire wood but if I wanted a piece I could have one. I had to cut this in half it was to heavy to lift. What you see is a little less that a 1/4 of how big around this tree was. Shame I couldn't get more or examine the wood better. Not sure if there will be much movement in this wood? But free is free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Nice Day!

Free is the BEST!

Jon, I am betting there is some very nice figure in that maple! Looks like a little burl on the side, and with all that trunk pattern going on, it should be some good stuff! It will move if it is green, but still worth the effort!

Looks like several HFs in there to me! Bowls would be a challenge since it is fairly short on long grain - looks to be about 8-9" in height????

life is good, enjoy

Short cuts are great! Never know what you will find and being free is the best.

Turn it up quick before you get end checking and lose it. Alternatively, you might try covering it in dirt for a few month and try to get some spalting. I haven't done that on purpose yet, but would like to try.

Nice find, cant beat for free.

To the left it looks like the back side of a stihl saw; is that what you used to cut it - if so, whats the size of the saw, cc and bar length ?
    I just bought a SM250 (45cc 18" bar) and was wondering how well its gonna work for rip cuts in harder woods.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Sweet score Jon!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Joe, It's the farm boss (MS 290, 56.5 cc) with a 20" Bar. When blades are sharp, ripping is fairly easy. There is such thing as ripping chains... but I've never seen them.
    Last edited by Jon Lanier; 10-29-2011 at 8:01 PM.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jon, I am betting there is some very nice figure in that maple! Looks like a little burl on the side, and with all that trunk pattern going on, it should be some good stuff! It will move if it is green, but still worth the effort!

Looks like several HFs in there to me! Bowls would be a challenge since it is fairly short on long grain - looks to be about 8-9" in height????
    Thank John, One of them is about 11" and the other is about 10". Which is fine because I have Midi Rikon, it has a 12" swing but I've not done any thing bigger than 10". I was thinking more Hf's. Not done any for over a year. Time I go back to trying/practicing them again.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    John, I cut the top piece up this afternoon.... It's got some Curl!!!! woot! Small piece went into DNA for pens... find out in a week or so.
    Have a Nice Day!

Free is good Jon. That looks like it is going to be some nice turning wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.