Thread: Need source for laserable foam inserts...local if possible

Need source for laserable foam inserts...local if possible

Anyone know a source for laserable foam inserts. I have a potential job to supply some wooden gift boxes to hold small, but expensive medical devices. However, I need to be able to supply form fitting inserts to hold the device securely. I was hoping someone know of a material that works well for this application. Thanks.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

thefoamfactory.com Free shipping.

you can try toolfoam.com and see what they have, but they don't concentrate
    on what is laserable. I tried several, but the ones that didn't flare up weren't
    what I was looking for.

Thanks. Looks like they have a lot of different foam. I'm guessing that not all of it cuts cleanly with a laser. I was hoping someone with experience cutting foam would chime in with a recommended type that cuts well with lasers.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Google this product:
    http://www$generalplastics$com/solutions/product-lines/rigid-foams/fr-7100

Change $ to .

BTW, where is local?
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 10-27-2011 at 6:14 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Polyurethane foam cuts well with the laser - I cut 30mm thick easily and cleanly with my 60W.
    Surprisingly, it engraves quite well too.
    I make case inserts for very expensive scientific instruments, so quality is quite important.

The stuff I use is made by Plastazote (spelling???) and is grade LD29 closed-cell.

Cutting foam is SMELLY, so you should consider your exhaust and your neighbours before taking it on.
    You need good air-assist, or the sides of the cuts will melt and sag.

PS
    It is a LOT cheaper to buy the foam by the sheet, than to buy ready shaped inserts. Hack it into laser-sized pieces with a very sharp carving knife
    Last edited by Michael Hunter; 10-27-2011 at 7:10 PM.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    Polyurethane foam cuts well with the laser - I cut 30mm thick easily and cleanly with my 60W.
    Surprisingly, it engraves quite well too.
    I make case inserts for very expensive scientific instruments, so quality is quite important.

The stuff I use is made by Plastazote (spelling???) and is grade LD29 closed-cell.

Cutting foam is SMELLY, so you should consider your exhaust and your neighbours before taking it on.
    You need good air-assist, or the sides of the cuts will melt and sag.

PS
    It is a LOT cheaper to buy the foam by the sheet, than to buy ready shaped inserts. Hack it into laser-sized pieces with a very sharp carving knife

I found Plastazote LD29, but it's polyethylene, not polyurethane. Could you plese confirm what product you're using. Thanks.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Our supplier sells the foam as "polyurethane" and the disgusting smell when I cut it seems to confirm this (it does not have the sweet waxy smell of vapourised polyethylene).
    It is definitely LD29 (written on the side of each sheet), but I could be wrong about the Plastazote bit as I have never seen that in writing.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK