Thread: What to buy at the Woodworking Show

What to buy at the Woodworking Show

The WW show is coming to S Calif this weekend and I'm getting my list together. I'm interested in the new DeWalt small router (DWP611PK) and the new Bosch sander (ROS65VC). Has anyone comments on either of these two items and whether they are useful or not?

What show is coming this weekend to socal?

Those items look new, maybe you can be the first to try it out and post your feedback.

On the 611PK, I love mine and use it a lot for different handheld cuts, I sold my Colt when I got it.

On the Bosch sander, I don't have one but I did take a look at it at the show in Dallas last weekend. To me it is a little large but the vibration is just great, there just is none.

While you are there take a look at the Bad Dog Tools drill bits. I bought a set after the guy drilled a hole in a hand file, a brake rotor and some other hard to drill stuff. I went right home and pulled out an old file and just had to drill a hole in it, and I did.

I have mixed feelings about the Bad Dog bits. Early on, I was very impressed with some things I got done with a couple of them. They aren't for every job, but can be handy to get you out of a jamb. Since then, I have completely destroyed a couple of the smaller ones almost instantly trying to drill out a damaged set screw in a machine pulley. And I was carefully following the speed recommendations, etc. Those were a big disappointment, and have severely damaged my faith in these bits. Shipping costs pretty much make it prohibitive to send them in for replacements. I might take them back at a show, but the Woodworking Show around here hasn't been worth going to for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    While you are there take a look at the Bad Dog Tools drill bits. I bought a set after the guy drilled a hole in a hand file, a brake rotor and some other hard to drill stuff. I went right home and pulled out an old file and just had to drill a hole in it, and I did.
    Heh, I also ended up with a set of those. After I got them home I figured out that they are dang close to some concrete bit I had (same basic carbide tip setup, just ground differently). I tried regrinding the concrete bits and after a few tries (was doing it freehand which I ain't no great shakes at) they cut pretty close to the same (the difference seemed pretty accountable to my mediocre grinding job). For the price I'd reckon getting a drill doctor would be a good value

The sheet metal nibbler they sell looks pretty cool though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    What show is coming this weekend to socal?

Those items look new, maybe you can be the first to try it out and post your feedback.
    "The Woodworking Shows" L.A Fairgrounds at Pomona.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "The Woodworking Shows" L.A Fairgrounds at Pomona.
    I will be there on Friday whole day. Come by and say hi to me at Cerritos College booth.

I was at Dallas (Irving) last weekend. I boght the Bosch ROS20VSK - got it off $17 less than any listigs at Toolseeker. Looked at the Bosch 12 v cordless rigght nagle driver and kinda wished aaid gotten onel Would have bought some 9,6 v Dewalt batteries but no DeWalt there. Got some 120 grit 3x21 belts and a coulple of the Dab Dog cheape bids. Pretty poor show and pretty poor showing of potential customers.
    And now for something completely different....

I hope the show in PDX will be decent - my brother is starting to get into woodworking, and I'd love for him to have a good time, and I was thinking of buying him a few toys while we're there.

I would not buy anything at a wood show unless I knew or had a very good idea what the item normally sells for. I have seen some vendors quote the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then run a “show special” price, which at times is the everyday street price. It pays to be an informed buyer. Also beware of the slick presentations and the ‘ya gotta have this’ hype.

I first attended the wood shows in Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area about 20+ years ago. At that time, the gate was large, it took a few hours to go through because of the number of vendors and demonstrations. Prices were good. My wife enjoyed going with me and looking around. In my opinion, now there are very few deals or bargains at the these shows. There are less vendors now compared to the earlier shows. I attended the last two Portland shows and walked through them in about 45-60 minutes. My wife was very surprised at how small in terms of attendance and the numbers of vendors there were. The only reason why will attend this year’s Portland show is to look at some Lee Valley planes. A fellow woodworker claims that death of the wood shows is a result of the internet sales and catalogues. And he just very well maybe right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    A fellow woodworker claims that death of the wood shows is a result of the internet sales and catalogues. And he just very well maybe right.
    I have the theory that we don't go to the shows because they are smaller, attendance stinks so fewer vendors participate so the shows get smaller . . . see a pattern? I go every year, we all should and take a friend. If nothing else I get to see some folks I only get to see once a year ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have the theory that we don't go to the shows because they are smaller, attendance stinks so fewer vendors participate so the shows get smaller . . . see a pattern? I go every year, we all should and take a friend. If nothing else I get to see some folks I only get to see once a year ;-)
    Part of the reason is they show the same crap over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I might take them back at a show, but the Woodworking Show around here hasn't been worth going to for years now.
    No such luck this year - show in Detroit was cancelled. When I called I was told it was due to "economic reasons".