Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop Aprons

I had contacted about an apron a few years ago when I needed one built for a large man. Never got around to ordering one and now I'm no longer nearly as large, so i think an off the shelf model might work. Seemed like a super nice guy, the pictures of his work looked awesome, and he sure knew exactly what to ask for measurement wise...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Konobeck View Post
    I had one custom made. Contact CW McCellan of McClellan Leather Craft. GREAT guy and does nice work. Had one made for my 3 yr old daughter for xmas last year. Should grow with her for a few years. Hopefully mine grows with me too. :-) Hopefully he still makes them. Do a search for CW McCellan or leather aprons and you will see quite a few happy customers have posted.

I'm getting the Rockler woodturners apron very soon, I like how it's very high at the top to keep dust off my shirt and neck. Leather too, I think dust would get in the canvas right?
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17200

I received a package from Klingspor that included the Tormek apron. I'm no expert, but for my taste and what I was looking for, it's perfect. Once I got the straps adjusted it was just the right length, straps were long enough to wrap around and tie in front. The pockets most likely to catch saw dust had flaps. Had enough pockets for what I like to carry around (tape measure, pencil, small engineers square, utility knife) without being overkill. Apron was a little lighter than I anticipated, but as long as it holds up, that's not a bad thing.

I like the Rockler on very much. Pockets fill with sawdust but not too bad. I vaccum them out when needed or flip upside down. I also switched to $5 T-shirts from Walmart so I could just ruin them. I do not think I can get away from dust - its on my pants shoes hat or hair anyway that the apron does not cover.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jerome, if you are still in the market, here's my advice. I don't remember where I got mine, but I got it for turing. It is fairly thick leather (great protection), has pencil holders on the left breast, a pocket on the inside of the apron on the left thigh, and closes around the neck to keep chips from getting down your shirt. I used to have another apron that I used for flat work, but it caught all the dust in the chest area. I now use the turning apron for all work. Once it is on for a couple minutes, I forget it is there...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's so hot and humid here most of the year, that I'm worried about leather making that worse. So far I like that Tormek apron, but if it's isn't tough enough to last, I'll try to track this one down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Jerome, if you are still in the market, here's my advice. I don't remember where I got mine, but I got it for turing. It is fairly thick leather (great protection), has pencil holders on the left breast, a pocket on the inside of the apron on the left thigh, and closes around the neck to keep chips from getting down your shirt. I used to have another apron that I used for flat work, but it caught all the dust in the chest area. I now use the turning apron for all work. Once it is on for a couple minutes, I forget it is there...

Jerome, I get ya with the heat. My shop is air conditioned, but not like 72...more like 78-80. I really have to say that I don't find it uncomfortable in the summer, but of course that is personal opinion. Here is a link to a pic of it on me yesterday.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...a-Monster-sort

Don't know why, but I think I got it from Rockler. And I just got something in the mail yesterday about Rockler having free shipping...
    I drink, therefore I am.

That's a nice looking apron. Looks like good protection too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    That was my first take too. My sister-in-law made an apron (scaled for my old girth) and it was just too long. I'm thinking one a bit close to my knees than to my waste would work. I'm guessing the one from LV is probably the one I want for two reasons, 1) I like the look, and 2) I just placed an order and it's too late to add it <g>.
    I received an order from LV yesterday with the leather shop apron in it (I've had a denim apron for more years than I can remember, time for replacement). Anyhow, some quick comments about it. I like the length--comes to about mid-thigh. Has a few pockets on the chest--nice, but no other pockets--minor not so nice. The jury is out on the straps, however. They are stiff nylon and the the top digs into my neck. On the bright side, they should be very easy to replace over the coming months if they bug me enough. Price for the apron was around $32 which is not bad for a stout, leather apron.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I've been using a Ben Davis Teamsters Apron for as long as I can remember. It has enough pockets to hold everything and offers good protection for my pants. This is especially helpful during glue-ups. I hate picking dried glue out of my jeans.

+1 for the Lee Valley apron...it is great