Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem on anodized aluminum

Question Problem on anodized aluminum

Hi Everyone,
    I'm trying out my first project on anodized aluminum (from Chewbarka, of course), and I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm only engraving text, and on more than one occasion now, I end up with dark discolorations. I don't know if it's just failing to engrave properly, or if there's something else going on. Anyone see anything like this before?

Thanks,
    - Dave

Please list equipment and settings to give an idea of where to start.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I'm on an old Epilog Summit. Running at speed: 40, power: 100. CorelDraw X4.
    Last edited by David Schrubbe; 10-24-2011 at 11:30 PM.

I engraved AA all the time on a 40w and my settings are 95s 65 power @ 300dpi and they turn out nice.
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

Sadly, it looks like the ageing tube syndrome. First few pulses fine and then the power drops away.
    The edges are a bit raggedy, which also suggests tube problems to me.

Ways round it - run slower, with relatively more power ; play with the ramp and acceleration settings ; start saving up for a new tube.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I would say you are overpowering it. I have 30 watts and run annodized at 20% power. All you are doing is effectively bleaching the color out. You're not trying to remove anything. I would try less power. I also run at 600 dpi and 90% speed.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I think it looks like your tubes need to be recharged or replaced. I am having similar problems with mine but it is only on long areas of engraving when the power starts to drop. For the time being I just run a bit slower and and when doing vector cutting I select the entire part in corel and rotate it 4 or 5 degrees that way none of the lines are on only one axes. I don't know why but it makes a big difference.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Well I don't disagree with any of the comments above. However, I found variations on doing some of the Chewbaka tags.... I think it is dependent on the thickness of the anodised coating. There, I've said it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I'm going to agree with Frank. The anodized layer can vary in thickness.

When my tube started to go, just as it became useless it engraved white/red romark that had those same burn marks..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Same problems for me.. my tube is now on photovaclaser.. waiting for diagnostic$...
    Edu

Laserpro Spirit 30w

12. Is it only blue you have trouble with? I have some anodized nametags, and they engrave fine except for the blue ones.

I love Chewbarka tags. Most of them are a piece of cake - although the red usually lasers pink - rairly white. Now to be honest, I've done hundreds of them, so, I've worked through any issues. Unlike those that Frank must get on that side of the pond, I find them to be very consistent. There were some issues when they started & like I said the Red still has issues, but the rest are a no brainer to laser.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I love Chewbarka's tags too - I use settings the opposite of what you're listing, Dave. I got them straight from Chewbarka: 100 speed, 80 power on dogtags for my 35w. For pet tags, it's 100 speed, 45 power. They are obviously made differently. Works every time like magic. I've even color filled them with Sharpie markers.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, I use similure settings. The 100/80 for Photos & 100/45 for Text. I have even used laser transfer paper & heat press for full color images on these tags. Still testing that process, but the 2 on my key chain have lasted 6 months and still look great.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC