Thread: Stickley Ashville Grandfather Clock

Stickley Ashville Grandfather Clock

Hi Guys (and Gals)
    I am in the process of building the Stickley Ashville clock. It's the BIG one. I have spent some time at the Stickely Factory store measuring and taking pic. Sales staff is really pretty cool about it. However, I need to find the clock movement. It's an eight day, cable would movement, with two weights. Sales rep says it is made by a German clock company named Keininger. I have looked all over the internet but haven't been able to pin it down. I'm just hoping I'm not the first to build this clock and that someone out there might be able to help. Alan

Last edited by Andrew Kertesz; 10-24-2011 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Added link

still need help

Andrew. thanks for responding, but I still need model number. I actually have already emailed clockworks and they responded that they need a model number to help.

Alan

Maybe talk to them direct?

http://www.kieninger.com/english/index.htm

Tim

I have an Emperor Clock that I built 40 years ago that is still keeping perfect time.

http://www.emperorclock.com/index.ph...rl61uo3a4o2j15

Man that is a HUGE clock!

Hey Alan,

I haven't built this clock, but I have built a tall case clock. I wouldn't worry too much about the exact movement. Pick out a Kieninger movement that looks close: 2 weights, cable driven, with the correct chime type. Make sure to check the pendulum swing for the diameter pendulum you'll be using. Some of the swings will be too wide for the inside width of your clock. I ordered my movement from Clockworks and would not order from them again.

8. I’m on a similar mission. I’ve been told that all the Keiniger and Hermle movements can’t drive a minute hand longer than 5”. But Stickley uses a Keiniger, which I think is the PS series but not certain but sure the hands are well in excess of 5”. I suspect the real issue is the torque and the Stickley hands I see are balanced so maybe that overcomes the 5” convention. Anybody have an suggestions for movements or my torque assumptions?

We knew a guy , deceased now, who worked only on fine old clocks. He said a lot of the new clocks have to be bushed
    after only a few years because the metal is too soft. Might want to ask any sellers.

Cool but can someone fix the spelling please
    its Asheville.

Hoping you all the best with both the search and the project. My wife and I are huge Stickley fans and own several pieces. We toured the factory a couple summers ago and had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with Mrs Audi. I’ve seen the Stickley version of the clock as well as a couple reproductions by boutique builders. It’s nothing short of stunning. I wish my house had a place for one.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps your friendly sales staff will allow you to peek in the back of the clock at the works.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Realistically you have to find the clockworks and dial and design from that. Do you plan to make that dial? I doubt you will find one for sale.
    The one for sale does not chime which seems like a waste. I prefer a moondial and chimes or count. Why cable drive only? I also prefer a second hand. It makes no mention of a silencer or tune choice.
    Bil lD

https://www.stickley.com/furniture/a...heville-clock/

Ask here:

Want to Buy | NAWCC Forums

or here:

General Clock Discussions | NAWCC Forums

You'll have to create an account before posting. Also, if you want an outstanding American-made movement, you can ask David Lindow:

Lindow Machine Works

That is a beautiful clock. Making the face looks like a project in itself. I would start with the most difficult part first in case it defeated me. So making a couple of practice faces would be way ahead of cutting any wood.