Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper tenon tooling: 8" saw blades, i" arbor source?

Shaper tenon tooling: 8" saw blades, i" arbor source?

I'm fixing to make some new windows for my house and have been thinking about working towards a better method than the router table which I have done in the past. I don't want to spend thousands on shaper tooling for the few windows I find my self making presently. So I see this old FHB article that looks just like what I was envisioning!

http://www.mustardseedbuild.com/inpr...ench_doors.pdf

Well, I have both a freud and amana router bit set for sash construction, both can cope extended tenons with a stub cutter, and I'm working on getting insert knives made for the shaper to match the coping cutter on the router. I find sticking on the router table to be marginal, lots of chatter and tear out, difficult to feed versus the shaper. So I want to cope on the router, mold on the shaper, glass rabbit on the shaper. I'd like to use this as an opportunity to really get some tenons made on the shaper. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, so the $500 Garniga groover/tenon cutter I want is a bit out of the budget at present. The FHB article shows two TK rip blades on a 1" arbor with a spacer being used, much like an actual single ended tenoner would. Anybody ever tried this, and anybody know a ready source for blades with a 1" or 1 1/4" arbor hole? I suppose I could get any blade punched out at my local tooling place, but a ready made option seems it would be cheaper, I just have't found one in my searching.

As a side note, anybody know of a chart to calculate spindle speed for different pulley configurations, or a formula? I have an 1 1/4" minimax that I could get a 1" arbor for, and it slows down to 3000RPM's, but the spindles cost a small fortune which will defeat my attempt to do this cheaply. My delta does 7000RPM minimum, I have a 1" arbor for that, but 7000rpm is too fast for the 7"-8" blades needed to make tenons this size. The guy in the article steps down the speed with a smaller motor pulley. Just not sure what size would be required?

Any thoughts or experiences on the subject are appreciated.

Cutter Speeds.xls

Hi, as you indicated any tool maker will bore the blades to your arbour diameter.

I've used FS Tools for that as they are just up the road from me.

I'm fortunate in that my shaper ansd saw have a 30mm arbour so I use my dado blades for the exact purpose you mentioned..........Regards, Rod.

P.S. I've included my chart for my shaper.

Peter, How long of a tenon are we talking about?

Forrest or Ridge carbide 8" or 10" dado stacks in 1" arbor (used on RAS) are what I have seen some boys use on the felders owners group (or course theirs are 30mm or get them drilled for 1 1/4"). Make sure you use a tenon hood and be safe. I would use the MM. Mike Jackson at leitztooling will bore the blades for you, so will Forrest.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-23-2011 at 8:34 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I use dados as well for slotting. If I were to order an additional spindle it would be the 3/4 and bush it out. That allows for the use of smaller cutters periodically. If I need a profile that won't be used much I use the 3/4 Grizzly type because they are cheap. Most of the time I prefer the 1.25 but at least the additional spindle is multi use. By the time you redo the pulley on the Delta you can pay for at least part of the spindle. Dave

Call Charles Schmidt, they have a tenon system that uses corregated steel inserts. This is the ticket, it will profile and tenon in one pass. It will not cost any more than a good door set and the saw blades you are talking about.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Peter, How long of a tenon are we talking about?
    I'm looking at 2" max on a standard sash frame. I need to make the cheek cuts in one pass with a spacer between two blades, then make the shoulder cuts on either TS or RAS, probably TS. I'm trying to make them historically accurate, more as an exercise than as a strict requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I'm looking at 2" max on a standard sash frame. I need to make the cheek cuts in one pass with a spacer between two blades, then make the shoulder cuts on either TS or RAS, probably TS. I'm trying to make them historically accurate, more as an exercise than as a strict requirement.

IMG_1523.jpg

Here's the cutters I've been using for tenons, and they work great, but no pattern.

IMG_1630.jpg

One idea would be to use something like the arrangemant above. Of course, a pair of coping discs from schmidt would be better, but not cheap. What you may be able to do is cut the tenon in two steps. To get 2 inches from this, you would might be able to get away with cutting the bottom of the board with the top cutter, then raising the spindle to cut the top with the bottom cutter. Two steps, with room for inaccuracy, but it's easy enough to use something like a wixey digital height gauge to dial in spindle height accurately. Either cutter could have the shape you want on it, and having the cutters on one spindle would handle the alignment of the top and bottom shoulders.

IMG_1589.jpg

Here is some guy playing with his toy.

Peter, here is a link to some examples on David Best's website. Felder usually has some good deals on these large bore blades. I have big cutters for this, but I too have thought about using blades.

http://www.davidpbest.com/VA/Stoneho...enon_Hoods.htm

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Peter, here is a link to some examples on David Best's website. Felder usually has some good deals on these large bore blades. I have big cutters for this, but I too have thought about using blades.

http://www.davidpbest.com/VA/Stoneho...enon_Hoods.htm

Brad
    I think that I bought one of those sets from David Best. Super nice dado blades, but not within the realm of cheap. I think one set could be split up to use the outside blade on one side of the tenon, and the opposite outside blade on the other. Another option would be to get a dado set from craigslist and have it opened up.

When I was recently looking for a shaper I came accross a chairmaker (he made some nice stuff!) who used saw blades on his shaper to cut tenons. And I think they were just normal blades--and he said he sent them to Weaver for boring. So contacting Weaver is another option for their input.

Stephen, I agree you can have blades re-bored, but make sure you ask how they will do it. Any specialty blade company would be fine, but I bought some Garniga blades and the supplier sent them to a machinst to have the pin holes bored. The machinst did not do a good job. One had to be sent back, and the other sure does not fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Stephen, I agree you can have blades re-bored, but make sure you ask how they will do it. Any specialty blade company would be fine, but I bought some Garniga blades and the supplier sent them to a machinst to have the pin holes bored. The machinst did not do a good job. One had to be sent back, and the other sure does not fit perfectly.
    Here there doing it with a double blade on the saw. If I had a few to do, and did not want to put down big money for the tooling, this iw how I would do it:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3233

That said, I don't want to start off another sawstop debate. Every time I see this sort of thing, I wonder how people kept their fingers over the course of a career.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses gentlemen. As usual lots of great input! I love the links to David Best and the vintage machinery manual! Great stuff. I looked at every option. The schmidt heads run around $250 plus knives, so I guess that puts them in the $350 range? Not crazy, double that for a pair to do it in one shot, plus knives to match for sticking in HSS, I'm looking at close to $900, for me too much for a run of 5 sash. But it would open up great capacity for the future. I have a set of 5/8" brass spacers for the TS, made to space two blades for tenons. THey were my grandfathers, thats how he did it. I have a tenon jig, not my favorite method, but that might be the cheapest way out though it gets me no closer to my goal making tenons on the shaper. I've been looking for a good used tenon disk set for several years that I could afford or an auction of which I was the winner, so far no luck. I do have one massive 200MM disk from Lueco, one half of a set meant to go on a tenoner or molder, that will do 2 3/8" , so that may be a good option in two passes?

I followed Rod's suggestion of FS tool (I like their blades, never thought of them for this), turns out Ridge carbide is a distrubutor? Which led me to Mike's suggestion of a ridge dado set. I could use a 1" bore dado for the RAS, but that really needs to be a 10" to get past the motor on my 14" DeWalt. I can't spin a 10" on my little shaper without wearing depends. I don't need additional slot cutting capacity for the shaper as I have a dial euro groover that covers from 1/2" to 15/16" with a flawless cut. The dado sets runs close to $300 bored for 1 1/4". I can't imagine 2 full dado king sets bored 1 1/4" would be cheap, though I could go into timber framing with that set up! But Ridge does have 7 1/4" blades in the $50 range that may work, and it looks like they increase the bore for around $20 per hole, so that may be my best option short run from a low cost perspective that meets the single pass requirement. I am going to give them a call later this week as they don't have a bore option on these blades on their site.

Thanks again for all the great ideas. Its been invaluable to help me expand and focus my thinking. Peter

Call or send a not to Mike Jackson at Leitz tooling first. He comes up with some awesome tooling on ebay. He might have the perfect setup.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.