Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So this is what the Vortex does to a person

Jamie, Tablesaw and outfeed table is covered too. Just didn't get pics of them. Luckily I like segmented turning, so I get to use all the flatwork machinery.

The only flat work I've done in the last two years is to make some quick shelves and fixtures for the VORTEX....Hhhhhep!!!
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I almost find these kinds of threads depressing. Guess they strike to close to home.

4. As a new turner I can relate, or as a friend said, be careful, you may never make another piece of furniture again!

Next thing you know we'll be buying chainsaws!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, join the crowd!!! I often think my shop has become a museum for flatwork tools! With my OCD issues, I don't have stuff stacked on my other tools, but I do find myself blowing dust off of them and wondering if there is some reason to keep all those neat tools!! Someday (I keep telling myself this!) I am going to do some more flat work!!
    John, you should get into segmented work, justifies owning all those other tools. There are times when I use almost every tool in my shop just to make a bowl. With your skills you could do some cool stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

6. John is right!

Segmented turning seems like a great way to use up all those shorts left over from furniture projects and a great reason to keep that table saw!

Jonathan

I think that I have this problem too but I don't have all these extra tools. The entertainment center comment hit a nerve. A bookcase wall-unit has been on the drawing board (SketchUp) and SWMBO's list for quite a while. I assessed my flat-board delivery rate and decided to contract out the wall unit. It essentially came down to the good-cheap-fast question where you get to pick two. In this case I was afraid that the question was good-cheap-never. As a result, in less than a month we have a full wall in our office filled with cabinets and bookcases. Needless to say my wife is very happy and so am I. By the way,I'm going downstairs to do some turning.

Cheers,
    David

could turn your tablesaw into a disc sander for truing up segments for segmented projects
    Carpe Lignum

John - I am in exactly the same boat as you! Including fireplace built-ins started more than a year ago.
    Therapy doesn't help this addiction; save your money and spend it on tools instead..

Thanks for the help guys. I do use the saw for cutting segments. Need to get the jointer and planer dug out for an upcoming segmented project. I have a couple in mind. Jim, I spent too much at Ohio Symposium so my tool buying is on hold......except for the Sorry bowl scraper I just bought at wood craft..........and...........:-)

John I am sorry you just spend too much time at work. Retire and find out how much fun turning can be when you do it when you want. Give up the flat work. You could be turning burls like you are now and doing it when you want. Too much work

Thanks for the encouragement Ron. Don't think I'll be retiring anytime soon. Gotta pay for my habit somehow. Maybe I can have the shop cleaner for you next time