Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corner Cabinet

Corner Cabinet

I am close to finishing a corner cabinet that has been taking up room in my shop for a year. To be fair to myself I was out of the country for 8 months. It still feels good to be getting it out of my shop. The divided light doors gave me fits. I still have to do a final sanding and do an initial coat of paint before I bring it into the house. It will be a built in cabinet in my dining room. I will build the cornice in place and wrap the base and chair rail around the case. Here it is assembled before I take it apart for finishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. I'd be proud to have something that nice come out of my shop!

Nice door work. Be sure to post a pic when it is installed and finished, I'd like to see it with the paint and trim.

Nice work on the cabinet Willie. And real nice work on those doors...

Nice job Willie, what kind of wood did you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mcclaran View Post
    Nice job Willie, what kind of wood did you use.
    Joe,

I used Southern Yellow Pine purchased from a local builders supply for the frame and doors. The upper door from stair tread, the rest from 1x S4S from their yard. The shelves, back and sides are paint grade plywood.

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece and it is sure to be a pleasure in the home. I have had projects for myself that get delayed due to doing things for others to the point where I think I will never enjoy them even after completion. Fortunately this has not proven to be the case. It is a great looking piece and I wish I had a spot for something like it. I look forward to seeing it installed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's going to look awesome installed

Willie, that looks really nice. Congratulations!

What type of finish do you plan to use? A burnished milk paint finish would look wonderful!!!!

Regards, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tipton View Post
    Willie, that looks really nice. Congratulations!

What type of finish do you plan to use? A burnished milk paint finish would look wonderful!!!!

Regards, Patrick
    Patrick,

I too like milk paint. However, this will be painted with a latex. It is currently wearing only a coat of primer though.

Here it is in the dining room. It only took a slight taper on the left side for it to fit like a glove. As a bonus is was also plumb and level with no shimming. It is screwed in place through the back awaiting the trim.

cabinet mounted.jpg

I finished the base of the cornice today. Picked up glass for the doors. The glass was not cut to the template size so back to the shop it goes (argghh). Here it is at the end of today.

cabinet cornice2.jpg

Finished the base of the cornice. Next I have to build the goose neck bonnet that will complete the cabinet.

base cornice2.jpg

Good deal Willie. Don't forget to post a pic with the doors and glass, all painted up.

Started work on the gooseneck molding today. For all the people that have said carving it is not that hard, I say..., never mind. I started by bandsawing the inside edge. After fairing the curves with a spokeshave and spindle sander I mounted it to a plywood base to secure it. Then using a ball bearing guide on my router fence I plowed out the bulk of the waste. I left a half inch "bridge" to keep the router steady. I sawed that off with a hand saw. After that I used gouges, rasps, scrapers, spokeshaves, and a block plane to shape it. This was my first major carving project so it took me all day. Tomorrow I'll tackle its mate. When I finish that I'll cut the outside edge from both and sand.

mold-jig.JPGmold_exc.JPGmold_exc2.JPGmold_saw.JPGmold_scrape.JPG

Got some more work done over the weekend. Cut the moldings free, sanded and mounted them. Mounted the plinth block. Then built a bracket to mount it on the cabinet. Dry fit to size. Moldings for the returns are cut but not fitted. I will turn and carve the finial before I put the whole thing together and mount it.

Pediment_mold_fitted.jpgpediment_dry_fit.jpgpediment_dry_fit2.jpg