Thread: Bandsaw Purchase Advice Wanted

Question Bandsaw Purchase Advice Wanted

After searching through many of the Creek's threads on bandsaw purchase advice, I had finally settled upon the Grizzly 14"er. So far, my bids on ebay for a new one have not been successful. Then I came across a Laguna LT16 locally (with mobility base and extra blades) that was purchased 7 years ago but, according to the seller, has never been used due to "health challenges." Original purchase price was $1,730 (according to LT), and seller's asking price is $900 (but may entertain an offer if saw doesn't sell.) To confuse me even more, the LT website lists their new basic 14" model at $995...a purchase that LOML supports, btw.

The question is...does $900 sound like a fair asking price for the 7 year old "new" LT16?

I think it's a good price. I have the 16HD and am very satisfied with it. There is a pretty substantial difference between the 14 and 16. My only concern with the the older saw is it will not have the Laguna guides. I personally think they are top notch. The whole design concept behind them is head and shoulders above anything else. But you should be able to purchase a set for the new saw. Offer him a little less, and if he takes it geat. If not, I still think it's a good deall at $900 and much more saw than the Grizzly.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

You may need to get that machine before anyone else finds out about it.
    I have a LT18 that has been a fine machine with no problems. I did upgrade to the ceramic guides; they may also be available for the saw that you are considering. For that price you can't go wrong. Just go to the Laguna website and check the cost of the current machines, and you will get a good idea of the cost of new ones.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Bill, I looked at Laguna saws four years ago so my recollection may be off, but doesn't Laguna offer several different 16" saws in a wide price range? You may want to double check the model number just to make sure its really a good deal.
    Dennis

I had a Laguna 16 about 10 years ago and returned it....vibration and other problems. Check it carefully.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

go for it... I have a 3 year old laguna lt 24 and it works great. I use the regular euro guides and they have been fine for the few thousand bd feet that I have sawn.

Thumbs up This Laguna is now a Minimax

If I am not mistaken this is the same saw I purchased last year as
    a Mini-Max S16. It is manufactured in Italy by Meba originally for Laguna then more recently for Mini- Max. overall it is a very good saw as for the $900 it
    seems a little high but not out of line. i purchased my Mini-Max for ~$1300 last year but I think current price is over $1400

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bezilla
    If I am not mistaken this is the same saw I purchased last year as a Mini-Max S16. It is manufactured in Italy by Meba originally for Laguna then more recently for Mini- Max. overall it is a very good saw as for the $900 it
    seems a little high but not out of line. i purchased my Mini-Max for ~$1300 last year but I think current price is over $1400
    The Mini Max version is based on the same Meber saw, but has a number of differences over the original Laguna machine. Someone recently detailed that in another thread, either here or in the Mini Max forum. The S16 is beefed up. I don't recall the specifics that I heard when I worked the booth for them last fall. Maybe Sam will see this and comment...

That said, the saw that the original poster, um...posted about...is a pretty good deal, IMHO. Even if it needs some tweeking, it will still blow away anything else in the "new" sub-$1000 price range.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-01-2005 at 9:16 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fellmy
    After searching through many of the Creek's threads on bandsaw purchase advice, I had finally settled upon the Grizzly 14"er. So far, my bids on ebay for a new one have not been successful. Then I came across a Laguna LT16 locally (with mobility base and extra blades) that was purchased 7 years ago but, according to the seller, has never been used due to "health challenges." Original purchase price was $1,730 (according to LT), and seller's asking price is $900 (but may entertain an offer if saw doesn't sell.) To confuse me even more, the LT website lists their new basic 14" model at $995...a purchase that LOML supports, btw.

The question is...does $900 sound like a fair asking price for the 7 year old "new" LT16?
    Bill, I can't belive everyone missed it, but I see this is your first post! Welcome to the Creek!

As far as the saw goes, if you don't get it, tell me where it is and I will buy it right now! I have been drooling over the lt16's for awhile now! I think you would be VERY well served by this saw, if you don't feel you will be, please, please, please tell me where it is
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Toolseeker says $1295 for the LT14...not a bad price, but you're right, the website has it for $995. Sure is a nice machine. A bandsaw is the next big shop tool purchase for me, but I have no idea how long it will take to get one!

Thanks for all of your input which helped me decide to make the purchase. Unfortunately, when I contacted the seller tonight, the Laguna had been sold. Apparently someone else recognized that it was a good buy.

Also, thanks Jeff for the welcome. I like the friendliness and the civil tone here.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fellmy
    Unfortunately, when I contacted the seller tonight, the Laguna had been sold. Apparently someone else recognized that it was a good buy.

IF YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOOSE !!!

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.