Thread: Decent set of brad point drill bits that won't break the bank??

Decent set of brad point drill bits that won't break the bank??

Hi Everyone

As the topic states.....any reccomendations on a reasonably priced set of HSS brad point drill bits?

TIA

George

Try Infinity Tools or Lee Valley. you don't have to buy a big set, maybe just individual sizes. Good bits are a lot better than cheap bits. Save the cheap ones for drilling holes in pressure treated wood.

Blog Entries
    Define "reasonable". $3 to $12 per bit is reasonable for good drills depending on size. $25 for a set is expecting a lot. I have a couple cheap sets rotting in a drawer somewhere. You don't have to buy a $100 set. Just get what you need as you need it. I started with a $45 set of 12 which serves the bulk of my needs still. I have added a few here and there as required.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Lee Valley set has lasted for 3-4 years and are still sharp. While I normally buy router and Forstner bits as the project requires, I sprang for the complete bit set in the metal box. It takes up little room. I often find myself going up or down 1/64" to better fit whatever is going into the hole.

The Colt Twinland bits (sold by Woodcraft and others, including Holbren, a SMC sponsor) are pretty darn good. Under $20 for the set of 7.